Special Ed Cert in NJ?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CDOR79, Aug 9, 2018.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Aug 9, 2018

If I have my degree in Elementary Ed K-5 and obtain a Teacher of Students with Disabilities Certificate, what grades does that allow me to be a Special Ed teacher for in NJ? Only grades K-5 or all grades, K-12?

How does it work for an ESL Certification?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2018

You can only teach where you have subject/content certification, so K-6 in NJ (that is the designation for Elem. Ed. in NJ) If you earn a valid ESL Certification in NJ, you can teach SPED in that, if the need arises. However, most ESL students are not classified. The ESL certification is another 15 graduate credits, assuming that you have a standard certificate. If not, it is 21 credits.

4. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Aug 10, 2018

That’s what I thought...

Thanks for that info, Vicki!

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2018

If you are wanting to teach more SPED, you would be better off going for those MS Specialization certifications. You have to have 15 undergrad credits in the subject, but not stringent about order of level, so most people already have those credits in their undergrad degree. That only leaves passing the MS Praxis to add these to your certs. Now the TOSD cert has real clout and use, since by MS more students are identified and in need of a SPED teacher in these other certifications.

6. MissB123

MissB123 Rookie

Aug 12, 2018

I have my Elementary Ed/Early Childhood Ed and Special Ed in NJ I can only do Pre-k - 6 I believe with my special ed cert since I can only teach that in Gen Ed as well.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2018

Define General Ed. please.

8. MissB123

MissB123 Rookie

Aug 12, 2018

What I meant by General Ed, is a classroom that does not need a certified special education teacher. I am qualified to teach PK-6 along with Special Education PK-6. Many of my colleagues are not special education certified, therefore they teach general elementary education. I am aware that students of all needs can be in those classes, but that's just how I differentiate the two.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2018

With your TOSD, you can teach any SPED child in a classroom where you are teaching your certification. It does not need to be an entire class of SPED. Many schools like to hire those with TOSD specifically because those teachers can follow an IEP, making modifications and differentiation as needed. Ideally, the TOSD teacher should be better at scaffolding the lessons, which frequently benefits those who lack a classification, such as ESL students, and those who are in the process of being evaluated. That TOSD is the legal blanket for the school that any SPED student in your classroom is being given proper instruction. It is also why you will have more SPED students in your classroom.