Something to ponder

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by 1stferg, Mar 22, 2006.

1. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Mar 22, 2006

A local high school, public, has a picture of Jesus hanging in the hallway outside the principal's office. Don't know how long it has been there. A concerned parent has requested that it be taken down. Principal did not remove the picture. Parent went to the school board and they are dragging their feet on making a decision.

As a Christian that picture does not offend me. As a matter of fact it gives me comfort. But I am smart enough to know that there are some who would find the picture offensive. Students are now protesting outside the school across the street to keep the picture in place. The board of ed has decided that for each day the students miss class to protest it will be counted as an unexcused absence. I think that makes sense.

My concern is if the school board allows the picture to stay in a public school then they are opening the door for all religious sects to "advertise" in the public schools. How do you feel about that?

3. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Mar 22, 2006

Your principal is an idiot. Symbols of his religion no more belong
    there than those of Muslims, Jews, Hindus or any other.
    What kind of message does that send to children of other
    faiths? He belongs in a private school where he can save
    souls without impunity. He has no more right to do that
    than I have to put a cross on my playground.
    What an embarrassment he is to public education.

4. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Mar 22, 2006

Hmm, Well I think he should take it down. It is depicting a particular religous faith. While Im on the creationist side of the whole science issue...I dont think religious symbols should be in school, at least not public schools.

lol...I dont have a problem with the ten commandments being displayed though...hmm.

While Im against taking God out of schools...it isnt fair to have just Him represented only.

5. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2006

So let the other religions advertise in the school. So what. I wouldn't be offended if a picture of Buddah was hanging so I don't think others should be offended by a picture of Jesus. I say GET OVER IT and people need to stop causing more arguments than what is needed!!! Turning the other cheek is more the adult thing to do then to fight over a stupid poster.

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2006

Do you think God would tell him that too as he's standing at the pearly gates of heaven?

7. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Mar 22, 2006

I see your point Jen as long as we are talking about major world religions. However, I have a problem with opening the school to all religions such as those with Satan as their center piece. Know what I mean?

8. kburen

kburen Cohort

Mar 22, 2006

I agree with JenPooh. Any religion that would like to advertise should be able to. People spend too much time in life being offended by other peoples choice of religion. Why should it offend someone to see a picture of Jesus? Or any other "higher power" involved with religion? People are too scared of what they "don't know" or choose not to know.

In every room in my school we have a framed picture with "In God We Trust" written on it next to our flag. Do you guys think that should be taken down too since we are a public school? To my knowledge we've never had a parent complain.

9. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2006

Oh 1stferg, I totally know what you mean, but what are the chances of that happening? Probably small. Plus, if someone was to sue a school for not letting them worship Satan, I would be willing to bet the family wouldn't win due to the content of the hateful "religion" (if you can call it that). Other religions are at least about peace and love, Satanists are not...totally different.

10. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Mar 22, 2006

This is a tough issue. While I wish that all faiths could display their "centerpieces" proudly, I would hate it if there were demonic pictures hung up in schools. I heard once that students couldn't even wear religious shirts to school until they were in 8th grade (or maybe high school), because they didn't want the students to influence each other religiously...
    And, there is a debate about taking the "In God We Trust" off of out money...I think that is a little out of hand. Isn't that what this country was founded on?

11. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2006

YES!

12. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2006

I don't know how the principal has managed to avoid this conflict for so long. This was bound to happen.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 22, 2006

Of course, at that time, the intent was to protect the public from the government, not the other way around. They were concerned that the government not have the power to impose a particular religion on the citizens.

Since it is such a personal topic, I prefer not to have any religious figures or symbols present in public school. Public schools aren't even successful at modeling or requiring common courtesy and respect among human beings, much less being involved with religious beliefs.

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 22, 2006

This same type of issue (but for the Ten Commandments) was all over our papers last month. It actually happened in a small rural school district across the border (in Oklahoma). Well they removed the Ten Commandments, but let's just say only 3 people in the town were happy with it. The student and his parents. The parents are now suing the school district for emotional distress (I guess because of how the entire town is treating the student and his parents).

15. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2006

I have other things to worry about. Like did my students get breakfast, are they going home to a cold house, how can I get them to learn something, how I can handle a bully, what to do with an at-risk child, what to do with a gifted child, why is a child absent so much, what happened to little Suzie's glasses and on and on. I don't have time to worry about something hanging on the walls. Let's gear our energy towards the children that need our help and what we can do to be sure that every child is learning.

16. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 22, 2006

Things like this make me worry about the Pledge of Allegiance poster I have hanging next to the flag. Am I going to get into trouble about that?

Rosieo, you are so right. I'm more worried about my students welfare than what's hanging up around the school.

17. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Mar 22, 2006

I couldn't agree more.

18. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Mar 22, 2006

I think to many people spend to much time making things controversial and not enough time with the kids.

next we know some one will fuss over our currency, because it says " In God we trust".---------I'm sure some one already has, just havn't heard about it.

19. m1ckeymouse

m1ckeymouse Rookie

Mar 22, 2006

In our school, we also have pictures hanging up in every classroom that say "In God We Trust". We also still say the pledge every day and sing "Christmas" songs at Christmas time. At times for special occasions such as Veteran's DAy, 9-11 memorial, etc. we still have moments of silence observed. We even have bibles in our library. We are a small, rural school, but we have never had anyone complain. In fact, parents and community are often a part of these activities. We are very proud of our school for this. In fact it is one of the lowest paid districts in our state but I stay there because of the school and communities philosophies toward subjects like this. I'm not saying someone won't complain someday, but until then we are satisfied the way it is.

20. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2006

I need to move to a small rural town!

21. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2006

The principal is in the wrong. He is asking for problems and I would bet it's just a matter of time.