Something positive

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Dec 19, 2018.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 19, 2018

I’ve felt a negative vibe the past few days (maybe weeks?) on the forum, so I thought I’d start a new thread.

I’ve gotten a lot of nice gifts from teachers this week, but I got a really nice card from someone that was better than any gift. It said, “Thank you for making (insert name of school) a wonderful place to work. You’re the best.” That card made my week.

Has anyone said or done anything nice for you lately?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2018

YTG- sometimes life is like crabs in a basket. Crabs will pull others down to get out. Thanks for staying positive!

And yes- lots of good to celebrate. Lanyard keychain gift made by a kiddo, parents appreciative of some extra support I got their child, cookie exchange with colleagues, holiday concert lead by my amazing music director colleague...

tigger88 and Backroads like this.
  4. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Dec 19, 2018

I had one of our substitute teachers give me a baby quilt that she had found and loved (but didn't have a baby boy she wanted to give it to) for our baby due in April. She is one of my favorite subs (has been since I started at this school 6 years ago) and I had her granddaughter in 2nd grade 2 years ago. It was so unexpected, but so appreciated!!

wldywall, tigger88 and Backroads like this.
  5. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 19, 2018

Someone provided a wonderful plate of cookies and candies for the staff.

wldywall, tigger88 and Backroads like this.
  6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2018

Handwritten note from my admin this week:
    "Thank you for all of the wonderful programs you continue to bring to our school community. We always appreciate your willingness to join in and try things out. We are fortunate to have you on our team."

I also have a note from a student I received many years ago that I look back on when things get tough, "MrsC made a difference in my life because she never gives up on us, no matter what."

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2018

OMG. we get tons of food delivered all week: cakes, cookie trays, struffoli, breakfast pastries, fruit baskets, coffee...unbelievable! So sweet and thoughtful.

mrsf70, tigger88 and Backroads like this.
  8. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Dec 19, 2018

I think we all need like 10 days of sleep, haha! I need some positivity too! School can be tough this time of year.
    I also got some wonderful gifts from students, including handmade scarf!

Aces, tigger88 and Backroads like this.
  9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2018

One of my students asked me this afternoon--"Books or coffee?" His mom works for Tim Horton's and his dad works for Scholastic; I told him that it's impossible to choose between the two!

Aces, mrsf70, tigger88 and 2 others like this.
  10. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2018

One of my students, a Latina and first-generation college student, just got into the Ivy league school of her dreams!

Another student of mine, an African-American young woman, who has been homeless and has dealt with just about every challenge imaginable, just got accepted to one of our excellent local public schools.

I am SO beyond proud of all of my seniors!!!

MissCeliaB, mrsf70, tigger88 and 4 others like this.
  11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2018

One of my previous students who graduated a while ago found out that today was my last day at my present school. He asked his parents if he could take today off and then came and surprised me with roses and a lovely gift. Students who appreciate you after they have moved on has got to be the best gift any teacher could receive!

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 19, 2018

Young Teacher Guy has given this moderator another reason to be grateful that he's on this forum.

catnfiddle, miss-m, ms.irene and 5 others like this.
  13. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Dec 19, 2018

I love a great ending!

ms.irene likes this.
  14. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2018

One of my students who behaved terribly last week and needed to be removed from class was an angel this week. I’ve been using a sticky note with tallies when he does the right thing and he has been doing so well!! He responds very respectfully to redirections, participates and gets all his work done. (He isn't perfect, but last week the issue was screaming and arguing with redirections.) He is one of those kids that needs attention so he wants me to call his mom if he has a good day tomorrow (one good week).

Another kid who had a 45% in my class and four other classes gave me his dad's cell phone number. I spoke with dad and today he participated, completed his work, stayed after school, and raised his grade by 10 points already.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    futuremathsprof, Backroads and MrsC like this.
  15. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2018

Finished a trial run of a math club at our school yesterday, and as I've been reading the comments on a survey I gave the kids and sent parents, I've been amazed at how positively they reacted to it, even though the organization / exact approach wasn't fully set yet. And just how much the kids and I love spending time learning and growing together: I attended PE today with them, and we were all just fully and completely hyped.

(Plus, Friday before break is one of my favorite days of the year, because I hand each one of the kids a hand-written card from me full of all the positives I see in each of them, sharing excitement about coming back from break. Giving that happiness/confidence/joy tops everything for me!)

:yeahthat:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  16. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Dec 19, 2018

I've been meaning to post this all day, but I keep getting distracted.

Um, yesterday in my teacher mailbox was an anonymous cute little gift box... with a very significant amount of money in cash and gift cards in it.

17. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 19, 2018

I have a fantastic co-teacher who makes every day fun, even when the kids are challenging.

Backroads likes this.
  18. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Dec 20, 2018

I got a card today from one of my students from my first year. He's in fourth grade now; I had him in 2nd. He and one of the other kids from my class that year came in and gave me hugs and cards, and his letter inside was so sweet; he told me I taught him so much to get ready for 3rd and 4th grade, that I'm the best teacher he's ever had, and that he'll "never forget me out of his mind." It was very sweet and definitely made my day.

Backroads and tigger88 like this.
  19. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Dec 20, 2018

Today, we finished off the chapter book we've been reading aloud, and one of my kids sighed and said, "Mrs. B, I just love the way you read. It sounds so good in my ears."

Every year at Christmas, each grade level picks a student/family and buys them Christmas dinner. The 4th grade team selected one of my students and I was asked to call mom and talk to her about it since I've worked with this kiddo for 2 years and have a good relationship with the family. This student is fairly low cognitively but just a dream kid - hard-working, kind, and generous - so it was really wonderful to call home just to say, "We just love your child so much. Here are all the wonderful things about him." Mom and I both cried.

Backroads, tigger88 and mathmagic like this.
  20. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 20, 2018

Had a wonderful last day of school before Winter Break, including TWO students completing their diploma requirements. After school, a few of us stayed late to help our office staff mail out report cards and newsletters, then went out for a drink to celebrate. My principal picked up the tab for the first round to thank us for the extra time and effort. We'd do anything for her!

21. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 22, 2018

I received gorgeous Christmas flowers from a teacher in our district to say thanks for what I do as our Association President.

catnfiddle and Backroads like this.