Something new you are thrilled to try this year...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 24, 2013.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2013

I think we're all kind of there, Jem...with CCSS, a lot is new...some standards are gone, others are deeper...we'll all get through it together! Looking forward to sharing the journey and helping each other with ideas as we all get into it!

2. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 26, 2013

Me, too, Czacza! My head is swimming right now-I got my teacher's manuals and textbooks from the Librarian yesterday. Three math programs, three ELA programs, two science programs and one social studies program that need to be adapted/integrated into common core. I'll get there, but it's going to take my full focus.

Although I'd like to dip my toe into design thinking this year. I've had two workshops on it now-one at Stanford and one through the Disney Museum and I'd like to maybe try it this year.

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 27, 2013

Learned yesterday that 3rd - 5th will no longer have math texts (quote: "there's so much on the internet"). Of course, our number of copies doesn't go up, lol. If it weren't for the expense of class sets of texts, I wouldn't mind doing without the ELA text (Storytown), but the district can't/won't pay for it, and I certainly can't afford it!

4. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 27, 2013

This is the same philosophy the district I work in has too.

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 27, 2013

Math talks! And interactive math journals!

I should maybe just pick one..but I'm ambitious. :lol:

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 27, 2013

Understandable! We don't need tons of fluff to intrigue our students and provide a phenomenal education for them. You'll do a sensational job this year. :hugs:

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 27, 2013

"Number talks" - outlined by a poster here. Also going to take a different approach to Guided Reading with my intervention kids to hopefully see better results than I have the past couple of years.

8. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Jul 27, 2013

1. Friday journals (as seen on Pinterest)
    2. Being self-contained...although this scares me too....
    3. My totally revamped classroom library
    4. Utilizing parents and/or volunteers more to my advantage

I'm also hoping to get more organized. I purchased one of those 10-drawer rolling carts, which I am hoping will help. 5 of the carts are labeled Monday-Friday. I have copy, grade, and file drawers, a "sub tub" (which will probably change) and a personal drawer where I can store receipts and copies of our school's reimbursement forms. I NEVER got around to filing for reimbursements last year because we only have x amount of days to do it and when I thought to do it I could never find the form and/or my receipts...I'm hoping this will solve the problem.

9. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Sep 3, 2013

I feel fired up about this as well... so fired up that I went out and bought a book on the subject. But the book cost $50. I received it today, but I'm now having a bit of buyer's guilt and I haven't opened it yet (i.e. thinking whether I should return it). I'm wondering if it is even worth the money, since I'm not a teacher.

Do you guys think a sub can do Number Talks with classes (if it fits into the learning day of course)? Is it one of those things that has to be done regularly, to be worthwhile?

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2013

I'm looking forward to having more time to devote to my "slow rollover."

Last year it got cut short after 7 weeks.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2013

John Lee, you ARE a teacher... just not a full time employed one at the moment.

Keep the book.