Social Studies

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by newbie87, Jan 11, 2010.

1. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Jan 11, 2010

Just wondering. Do you do a social studies lesson everyday in third grade? I remember when I attend the lower grades it seemed English and social studies were like combined. How do you teach it?

3. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2010

I teach SS every day, sometimes as a stand-alone lesson, sometimes as a combo (for example, we will read a SS story and answer questions about it -- covering both reading and SS).

I find that if you don't cover it in some way every day, it is easy to quickly fall behind.

4. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Jan 11, 2010

^^^I like history, but one of my teachers was saying unless you're teaching higher grades. It tends to be left out or combined.

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2010

We have SS every day. Now, some days it does get shortened to a 10-15 min. activity, but I at least plan for it every day. My kids are actually on a real geography kick right now...atlases have been the reading materials of choice lately!

6. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Jan 21, 2010

I agree that is is easy to forget if it is not done regularly. I have to admit that I have been slacking off with my social studies this year but I know I will be picking it back up very soon with Black History Month coming up. Do you have certain things that need to be covered in third grade? We have a book but it is terribly dry and barely gives any real information!

7. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Jan 21, 2010

No. I have to alternate social studies and science. We tend to do units and either alternate them or do them simultaneously a day here and a day there. I throw in geography lessons during that time too.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2010

Unfortunately, social studies usually falls by the way side in the quest to teach the subjects on the TEST. Luckily, my present student teacher loves social studies and we have found a way to include his love in our schedule.

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2010

One thing I do to incorporate S.S. everyday is "Mystery State." I found a list of clues somewhere on-line. I have a bulletin board with a U.S. map. Every day, I post another clue to the mystery state of the week. The clues get easier as the week goes on. This is something students can work on independently during the day. They write their guess on a slip and put it in the box. Every day, I say who has gotten it right so far. At the end of the week, I reveal the correct state and we discuss the clues. It takes very little time, and at least gets some of the kids thinking about geography, history, etc.

10. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jan 23, 2010

I usually plan for both Science and Social Studies, unless I have a test scheduled in one of them. Most of the time I can get both of them in because I alternate the amount in each. For example we may read and discuss a lesson in Science, and then do the worksheet for the SS lesson we discussed the day before. Then the next day we would alternate. I've found that this helps serve as a review for the students. I also supplement with Scholastic News when I can, or have their morning seat work be SS or Sci related. That way, if I absolutely can't get one of them in, they will get something. Later in the spring we will do a Flat Stanley activity which is alot like amakaye's "Mystery State" lesson.
    Good Luck!

11. round stanley

round stanley Companion

Jan 25, 2010

Get it in every day if possible. Not much time available since LA and math for the tests take up all the time. But a lot of test questions revolve around nonfiction so this has to be taught frequently and with real books, not the text.

12. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2010

We do this to. Every day, I write a clue on the board. By Friday, they should all know what state it is.

Takes only a few minutes a day, and my students work on it independently while I take attendance and lunch count.

It also covers a lot of standards for geography, map skills, using research books, etc.

13. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2010

Ellensmom, what are some morning work activities you use?