Social studies teacher looking for an English cert.

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Teachii, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Teachii

Teachii New Member

Feb 4, 2013

Hey guys, I am new to this forum and am looking for a bit of info. I am a new teacher (graduated dec. 2012) and am licensed to teach social studies in AL. I am looking to gain an English certification in addition to my current social studies cert. so that I may be more marketable to potential employers. How do I go about getting this certification? Do I simply need to take and pass the appropriate praxis II exam? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. Teachii

Teachii New Member

Feb 4, 2013

Forgot to mention that I am currently living in TN

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 4, 2013

The state's department of education should have a page on its Web site with information about how to go about getting additional certifications. Some states require only a test and an application; others, however, want actual coursework.

5. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Mar 19, 2013

Heads up on this one. TN requires 0041 and AL requires 0044.

I did the same thing a year ago. It is much easier to find a position in ELA than it is in SS. In my current school the Social Studies teacher is retiring after this year. He will not be replaced. Why? At least 10/12 (not SPED) teachers are cert in Social Studies. SS is not tested area so schools do not care as much about it.

Oddly enough we will hire a SS teacher IF we can find a head boys or girls head basketball coach.

Since both TN and AL only require Praxis tests, I would also look at getting cert in sciece or math and in particalr MS math.