Social Stories

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by winnie_peg, Sep 20, 2010.

1. winnie_peg

winnie_peg Rookie

Sep 20, 2010

How are social stories presented to a kid with autism? Is it going to be daily? Is it going to be the same story until the goal of decreasing or eliminating the inappropriate behavior is achieved?

3. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Sep 23, 2010

I do my social stories daily and use the same story until the child is able to reference the story. For example, I have a story about sharing. When I say, we need to share, ask for the book, and the student is able to use the language we practiced in social stories, then I know that I can start to fade the book out. I know that the social story will probably not completely eliminate the behavior, but I think you'll see when the kiddo has the idea.

4. winnie_peg

winnie_peg Rookie

Sep 24, 2010

Thanks Kate Change. Now I can start using social story for my kiddos with autism.

5. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Sep 24, 2010

I think sometimes the way you use social stories will be child specific. We have one student who writes his own social stories - we basically go through a difficult situation and talk through what we should do and then write the story. After that the story is reviewed every day until it appears that the student is using the tools written in to the social story.

With other students, I write them (or find one online) and then we review daily (again until we start to see an elimination in behaviour). We bring it back if we see an escalation (more than just the one time that sometimes will happen as we all have bad days).

I have another student who actually does better with rehersal strips than social stories. We go through the strip right before we are going to do something that causes a behavior. It is generally 3 of 4 pictures with reminders underneath.

Good luck with using social stories. Rehersals are always good for all.

6. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Oct 2, 2010

Well, i'm filling a maternity leave position and the teacher i'm replacing did a social story for her class about a new teacher for their class. She didn't start it until I was there in the class for the change over which was the last few days of last term. She felt that they wouldn't understand so well if I wasn't there. We both took turns reading it to them a few times a day.
    Should I continue to do the social story after I return - it seems a bit strange talking about their regular teacher leaving when she's already left. Should I change the social story? I start in just over a week.

7. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Oct 2, 2010

I probably would not read the social story now. If you want to, you could write a social story about how the old teacher left for a while to have a baby and you will be the teacher until she comes back. I'm not sure though, it might be beneficial to them since it maybe comforting at this point. I'm sorry this isn't a concrete answer.