SoCal RSP Interview Process

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by awesomeblossom, Jun 12, 2018.

1. awesomeblossom

awesomeblossom New Member

Jun 12, 2018

I finished my 2-year credential program a month ago where I am now dually certified to teach K-6th grade and students with mild/moderate special needs. I've been on a total of 3 interviews (2 for districts, one for school site) for an RSP position. It's been over 3 weeks since my first interview with one district, even though they said they will let me know the following week. I mailed my thank yous and called that same district and left a voicemail with the SpEd coordinator that I interviewed with.

I'm getting really anxious about the competition and that I will be a first-year teacher. I have years of experience prior to subbing, tutoring, and a full year worth of student teaching. Is there anything else that I can do in the meantime to motivate myself besides apply for more districts?

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Jun 12, 2018

Have you applied for SDC, too? Or are you mostly interested in RSP? If you're interested in coming to Central California, we're hiring a few RSPs!

4. awesomeblossom

Jun 14, 2018

That's very kind of you! I'm applying for every M/M position as a special educator as well as an elementary teacher. Central California is far for me but I appreciate your gesture. Do you have any tips for securing a position? I've gotten no's so far :(

5. YoungTeacherGuy

Jun 14, 2018

Let them know that although you're green, you know how to smoothly and successfully run an IEP meeting. Additionally, you're ready to work alongside the Gen Ed teachers to ensure achievement for all students! When the RSP and Gen Ed teachers work well together, it's a recipe for success.

Mention that you're great with time management. In your role, you have to ascertain that every student receives their required RSP minutes each week, so you're well-versed in properly scheduling groups. You meticulously plan your schedule so that every student is well-served!

Sell yourself! Be confident. SMILE and be genuine.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  6. awesomeblossom

Jun 14, 2018

Thanks! It's mostly confidence that gets the best of me. I need to overcome my anxiety of being a newcomer.

One question that I feel like I don't have a strong answer for that I got asked twice is what to do if the gen ed teacher doesn't like how I'm handling the classroom.
    I gave responses such as, "I try to see their perspective, come with a compromise, and remind the teacher that we are here for the students". I also note how IEPs are important to follow through on so scheduling may be compromised on the gen ed's side.

Another feedback I got from my supervisor is talking about Least Restrictive Environments. In my student teaching placement, I was in a special day class so the only times that the students were included were at recess, assemblies and at lunch. For RSP, I feel that's against my favor of experience.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

Jun 14, 2018

The goal is for students to be in the LRE (Least Restrictive Environment). Students in SDC can be mainstreamed during Science, Social Studies, & PE-- which is what my district does.

I'm confused about the "handling the classroom" question. Are they referring to controlling your own RSP classroom during pull-out services, or not being able to control your students during push-in services?