So your child is a genius

Discussion in 'General Education' started by blessedteacher, Sep 17, 2009.

1. blessedteacher

blessedteacher Rookie

Sep 17, 2009

Hello Teachers,

One of the parents in my class thinks that her child is a genius. I am not sure where she got this idea. I mean her son is smart but its not the way that she makes it seem. Anyway, the parent is trying to make me change my curriculum based off of this student. The boy is working at the same pace as all of the other students. Sure he is intelligent but all of my students are. So the parent wants to meet with me and discuss this. Any ideas?

3. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 17, 2009

Tell her about how the other students are performing in relation to her son?

4. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Sep 17, 2009

When I have parents confront me like this, I just say "I am so blessed as a teacher to have such a bright class. These students work at such a level as I have never seen..." It gives them the understanding that they are all bright in some ways. And to continue this conversation they'll literally have to say "But my kids smarter than the rest" which typically makes them sound like a nincompoop.:lol:

5. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Sep 17, 2009

Tell her that you have to meet the levels of all the students in the class, not just one. Then say that you will find ways to challenge her son later on by giving him extra things.

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 17, 2009

I teach identified gifted kids and hear this from parents all the time. Most are well above average but not genius, ask her what her kid's I.Q. is?

You have to be respectful to these parents, tell them you differentiate your curriculum for all your students.

7. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Sep 17, 2009

I have a parent like this. He regularly writes letters to the Director of Education to complain that the division hired a dyslexic moron to teach his son. Somehow, I'm still around. We're about 27 days in and the first letter of complaint has been written... thank God this is the last year I have to deal with this parent.

8. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Sep 17, 2009

Show the parent the assessments you have done to determine their level of understanding and walk them through choosing the lessons. Be clear with the parents about what you need to see their child consistently demonstrating in order to provide more challenging work. If he/she brings up other students, remind he/she that you are not able to discuss other students progress with them. Keep the focus on how their child is doing and your plan on how to help improve their child's social and academic skills.

9. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Sep 18, 2009

I would have the principal sit in on this conference. Just have all your ducks in a row and don't be defensive. Make sure you have plenty of scores to justify your position.

10. Bloom

Bloom Companion

Sep 18, 2009

I can understand the frustration, but every parent thinks their child is AMAZING....instead of getting angry or feeling annoyed, present the assessment scores (identity protected) to the parents so they can see how their child is progressing with respect to the other students and present some suggested enrichment the parent can use at home to assist their child with their abilities. This parent is only looking out for their own child's best interest and so are you....work together and don't let it get you down.

11. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2009

I teach gifted kids, and my team had a conference with the mother of one of them on Friday. The reading teacher showed her a paper in which he had answered questions about a passage, and many of them were simply wrong...not creative, just wrong. It was obvious that he hadn't read it.

She replied that he was just so intelligent he was probably thinking about it in a way we wouldn't understand.

hmmm.

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 20, 2009

One of the things I do with these parents is to show them their child's score and a class average for several different things. So I might show them their child's DRA and the class average or their child's score on whatever assessments you do versus the class average. Also, if you do have a GT coordinator, ask if they will test at the parent's request and leave it to them to tell the parent the results ;)

13. blessedteacher

blessedteacher Rookie

Sep 23, 2009

Thank you for all of the replies!:hugs: