So You Want to Be (or already are) an Online Educator?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Jul 13, 2014.

1. DavidMike

DavidMike New Member

Feb 13, 2018

I'm working with online education portals who offers Masters programmes online. As per my experience, online education is the best option to save your time and money. Today, more than 50% people interested to take online courses. It also the best career for online trainers/teachers.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  2. DavidMike

DavidMike New Member

Mar 6, 2018

Do you think online teaching is fun? What challenges did you face?

3. imtyazharoon

imtyazharoon Rookie

Apr 8, 2018

I don't know in case I will have any investment from the meeting board or if it's simply to show how I clarify ideas. I don't know where to start! They just gave me a couple of days see (intentionally I'm certain) so I'm exactly at a misfortune. The meeting email particularly says PowerPoint and a mouthpiece just, no other innovation or stages. Any assistance on the most proficient method to plan such a smaller than expected lesson would be so valued!

4. robbyfine

robbyfine New Member

May 21, 2018

So many amazing ideas here

5. mamaotter

mamaotter Rookie

Jul 3, 2018

Hi, I'm not sure how active this thread is anymore, but I've been reading through it. I am a newly certified math teacher looking for my first job. Along with numerous local schools here in Alabama, I also applied to Connections Academy (ALCA) and K12 (ALVA). I didn't make the cut with ALCA, but I'm in the process with ALVA. I started with a digital interview, then recorded and uploaded a virtual lesson yesterday. The email said after that step, I'd get another email about the second part of the Virtual Interview process. I'm not sure what that consists of. If anyone knows, I'd love some tips!

To be honest, I was surprised to get the first interview invitation from ALVA as I have no classroom experience other than my internship last semester. However, one of my children attended ALCA last year, giving me experience with virtual school as a parent. Also, as a former computer programmer, I am very comfortable with technology of all kinds. I mentioned both of those in the digital interview. I suspect those are big pluses that may somewhat counteract my lack of experience.

Thanks!

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 3, 2018

My first full-time teaching job was an online one. They tend to look for people they think will be able to work with computers as easily as they can work in a traditional setting. It sounds like you have that qualification.

Biggest suggestion is to brush up on your skills with Microsoft Office, especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. I had to take an aptitude test on all three when I interviewed. Also, make sure you can show how your programming skills can benefit your classroom. One of my favorite co-teachers developed an HTML "virtual rubric" that would adjust for each assignment and would spit out a grade based on the parameters given. We could then paste the results into the student's dropbox as comments and feedback. It was brilliant!

7. mamaotter

mamaotter Rookie

Jul 3, 2018

It's been over 20 years since I left the computer field, so any skills I had are likely no longer useful. I was a mainframe programmer, and that isn't something I'll ever need to do as a teacher. It's more that I'm not afraid of tech and learn new things quickly. I'm really good at figuring out what I need to know, for example, I've never used Blackboard Collaborate before, so I googled and read lots of tips and the like on how to use it before recording the virtual lesson yesterday. I am proficient with Office products. I just completed an MEd, so I've been writing papers, presenting lessons with PowerPoint, etc.

While Connections and K12 aren't the same, I figure the past year as my son's learning coach has to be helpful. I'm familiar with the concepts and can ask him for details from the student point of view. He's in high school and has actually been a great sounding board for me when planning lessons and discussing classroom management issues.

8. Melani Glover

Melani Glover Rookie

Jul 18, 2018

I haven't taught online but currently an interested onlooker, trying to explore the idea, how much beneficial it could be to me. Some of my friends took to freelance teaching and teach students from different countries through Skype, this is good, if you gain good reputation and get continuous work.

9. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Jul 28, 2018

I'm a special education teacher in need of extra income since my other half has lost all of his. I was considering applying to online programs teaching kiddos in China ESL in the wee morning hours. I don't have ESL credential but I do have a clear sped credential.

Has anyone done this? If I can supplement family income by 1-2 thousand a month in addition to my salary, I can breathe again. The pay scale looks low but if the associated stress and responsibilities are low, I'm glad to try.

Would be very glad to hear of your experiences.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 28, 2018

I know several teachers here have supplemented their income using VIPKids as a platform. Information on it is on a separate thread on the forum.

11. DobbyChatt

DobbyChatt Rookie

Aug 26, 2018

Any K12 (the company) online educators want to offer pros/cons about what you do?