So You Want to Be (or already are) an Online Educator?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Jul 13, 2014.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 25, 2017

Also...
    [​IMG]

wldywall likes this.
  2. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Nov 26, 2017

I don't have anything yet, I hope to get that in the call with my principal on Monday. So no roster, no access to programs, nothing. But monday is the first day, so there is time. Thanks for the letter idea, that's something I can do now.

3. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Dec 8, 2017

I have been at my virtual school for about 6 months now! It is going well. When I started there I worked in an office, but they closed the office and I now work from home full time. It is lovely being able to sleep until 7:30 AM, and then work in leggings and a hoodie most days! Sometimes I do go in person places for meetings or for testing, and I wear professional attire on those days only.

I would get paid more in a regular district/traditional school, but overall I did get a small raise over what I used to make when I lived in NC.

wldywall and catnfiddle like this.
  4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 8, 2017

I'm going to start live sessions with students on Monday. And so far they've kept in My caseload small. But they've warned me that I'm getting a whole bunch of new students very soon. They will all need transfer IEPs, TPO forms, some of them will have expired and missing IEPs. I am not looking forward to having to do a whole bunch of paperwork all at once. I also still don't know how to use Blackboard as well as I would like. It's a bit terrifying but I'm adjusting.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 8, 2017

Blackboard is fairly intuitive. You don't have to flip anything to a .wbd file unless you want to, so stick with PowerPoints if that's what you're good at. If you are loading videos, try to save them toward the end of the class because Blackboard pushes them out to students SLOWLY. Don't be afraid to turn on that webcam, either, but if you do, I recommend you get into the session early to get used to talking while looking at yourself.

wldywall likes this.
  6. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 8, 2017

Yes, loading PowerPoint into blackboard ....no idea. Same with webpush. I plan on more practice this weekend.

Big question? A lot of my students have math goals on their IEPs, how do I do math problems?

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 9, 2017

I have GOOD NEWS! You can share items on your desktop or your whole desktop (which I do NOT recommend if you have multiple programs running). You may not be able to hand-write everything, but you can show steps and manipulatives.

wldywall likes this.
  8. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 10, 2017

My desktop, as in the computer? I knew that....so how do I show handwritten math problems? Draw with the mouse in the whiteboard portion of blackboard?

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 11, 2017

Hmm... I guess typing wouldn't work in that case. I've never taught math!

wldywall likes this.
  10. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 11, 2017

I'm trying to.figure it out, if there is a will there is a way!

catnfiddle likes this.
  11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 11, 2017

OH!

Do you have a whiteboard you can hold in your hand? Turn on your webcam and write on that.

wldywall likes this.
  12. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 11, 2017

Yeah a small one a d a big one. I'll give it a try

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 12, 2017

It's a stop-gap until you can figure out something else. Hoping your school has some kind of document camera ability. My friend who is an art teacher used Google Glass to film her point of view, but that's probably over the top.

wldywall likes this.
  14. site2017

site2017 New Member

Dec 12, 2017

Thanks for this and the links to prior posts
    Teaching is a challenging yet rewarding profession that requires teachers to be lifelong learners. Before pursuing this profession, make sure you thoroughly research the occupation's requirements, time commitment and pros and cons to determine if teaching is the right fit for you. In order to fully understand the commitment you are going to make, speak to any friends or family members who have experience teaching and learn about the latest trends in education through e-newsletters and other resources.
    Corporate site design

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  15. Kat.

Kat. Rookie

Dec 27, 2017

After this year I'll have 2 years of "regular" teaching under my belt. I'm really wanting to get started seriously looking into online teaching. The only problem is, the pay is much less than my current job.

Is it possible to maybe be a sub at the same time?

16. Kat.

Kat. Rookie

Dec 27, 2017

Sorry if my question has already been asked before - I'm on my phone and don't see a search thread function.

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 27, 2017

Pay at an online school tends to be a little lower. On the other hand, especially at a school where teachers work from home, expenses are MUCH lower, especially travel and wardrobe. For me, at least, it came out fairly even.

wldywall likes this.