So You Want to Be (or already are) an Online Educator?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Teacher girl yeah

Teacher girl yeah Rookie

Jul 17, 2017

Thanks so much for answering my questions. : ) I picked out an outfit yesterday and am reviewing my interview "stuff" today. Have a great day and let me know if you have any interview tips.

2. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 17, 2017

If you can think of successes and challenges with individual students, they'll probably ask you about that. Much of online teaching is one-on-one over the phone as well as over the computer. See what you can find out about their learning management system (LMS), which is the fancy term for what programs and websites they use. Ask about them. I'd also ask them about their policies for attendance and engagement (do they require students to do a certain amount of assignments per week or is just logging in and out enough). It may sound weird, but sometimes having the right questions can be as important as having the right answers.

a2z likes this.
  3. Dr Manish Borasi

Dr Manish Borasi New Member

Jul 20, 2017

Online studies is smart study internet is full of knowledge this create smartness in student

4. SageScience

SageScience Companion

Aug 1, 2017

Has anyone here taught science online? I am curious as to what students do for labs online. In a traditional school, we had lab days where students did hands on activities. What do they do online?

Also... if I live in California, can I teach at an online school based in Arizona or Texas? Or do I have to live in the state where the virtual school is located?

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 2, 2017

1. The school where I taught used Gizmo for their labs and it went really well. I used to sit in on the Physical Science live sessions occasionally and loved watching the students work and interact with their teacher.
    2. That answer depends on the individual state. Education licenses are issued by the state, so some institutions might allow teachers to reside in other states provided they have a valid license where the school is based. Whether or not this is in practice in reality or in the states you've mentioned, I have no idea.

SageScience likes this.
  6. SageScience

SageScience Companion

Aug 2, 2017

Gizmo... thanks for this idea. I've never heard of it before. I will check it out.

7. DobbyChatt

DobbyChatt Rookie

Aug 22, 2017

Hey guys! Question here. My wife and I are expecting in April...we both teach high school. She's probably going to stay home, and we're wondering if teaching online would be possible for her with a baby in the house. I realize this is regular, full-time work, so don't call me crazy for asking...just wondering what you all think. Possible? Insanity? THANKS!

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 22, 2017

It's possible! Several of my former coworkers switched to online teaching so they could parent more easily (this includes dads working from home). The biggest issue is if you are in a state that has online schools. You should be able to figure out what schools, if any, exist in your state. Then, find out if the schools in your state allow teachers to work from home (sometimes known as adjunct teaching) or if they require their teachers to report to a central office.

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 31, 2017

Not really able to do this atm, but I was wondering if you had good resources to find online teaching jobs. Is there a website that's a good start that would serve most states? (Particularly West Coast states though if you have one of those.)

Also long shot, but are there "online substitute teachers"? lol!

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 31, 2017

I've been fairly interested in this actually. I bought the "Take Home Chemistry" and "TH Physics" book sets a while ago, and I never got the chance to use them but I've been interested in seeing if it would be possible to implement this in an online school setting. Essentially, all of the labs can be done with small box of cheap materials the students pick up and take home or purchase themselves.

SageScience likes this.
  11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 31, 2017

I found http://www.homefires.com/charter/ as a possible starter, but simply searching for "online charter schools in California" should give some good results. There are substitute teaching jobs in the virtual world, but they are mostly LTS positions. My graduate school was much easier because I was teaching online AND learning online, but my program didn't involve thesis work.

12. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Aug 31, 2017

Edjoin posts openings for CAVA (or at least they did last time I was looking!). Not sure about the other states. The online school I taught for didn't have subs -- we just rescheduled our live sessions if necessary.

On a side note, I'm glad to hear you're still in the game, Peregrin! :)

13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 31, 2017

Semi-in the game. I'm hoping to just tutor and substitute this year. It may not be possible in later years when I have to do internships and research in my field. But if I found a flexible online teaching job that would allow me to attend school full-time and teach part-time, that would be very cool (though probably very stressful).

ms.irene likes this.
  14. SageScience

SageScience Companion

Sep 1, 2017

Thanks for this information.
    As for your other question about teaching online, I don't remember if you're in OR or CA? In any case, look into "Connections Academy", "k12.com", "ASU Prep Digital Academy", and "Delta Charter Online". Someone else said Edjoin and that might be a good bet.

15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 1, 2017

I'm in OR now. And thanks for the tips!

ms.irene likes this.
  16. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Sep 1, 2017

This is what I did when I did my Masters in French. I was almost a full-time student, and I taught part-time online. I was also a graduate teaching assistant, and tutored, and taught summer camp, and did whatever else I could to make ends meet as a grad student in one of the most expensive countries in the city! Online teaching was flexible and interesting conceptually, but the pay was beyond pathetic, and I also had moral issues with the way our particular school was recruiting low-income students from struggling schools, taking their funding, and failing to provide adequate support for those students who needed it most (ESL, SPED/RSP, etc were a total joke). It was a means to an end for me at the time and I did the best I could for my students, but I was glad to be able to move on. I do miss working from home at times, though...

ETA: I also did the Masters thesis option since I was considering going on to a PhD. Online teaching 30 hrs/week, grad assistant 10 hrs/week, tutoring 10 or so hrs, two grad classes, and thesis research all at the same time = insanity!

17. stellabelly

stellabelly New Member

Sep 17, 2017 at 12:30 AM

internet change the education world. It is better to start own online education classes, like I started a year ago. Save time, help students to gain more, increases punctuality, parents know what their kids are doing.