So You Want to Be (or already are) an Online Educator?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Jul 13, 2014.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 23, 2017

Looking forward to hearing all about your adventures! I still have a bunch of my resources, so please let me know if you have any questions or concerns, especially if you're an ELA teacher.

2. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 23, 2017

Terrific! My biggest suggestion is to ask a lot of questions at your interview. Ask them about their Learning Management System (basically, their online platform), how they maintain / enforce student engagement, and the socioeconomic status of their student population.

Backroads likes this.
  3. amay50

amay50 Rookie

Mar 25, 2017

Has anyone worked for Responsive Ed --a charter school online ? Comprehend Academy is in grades 3 - 12. What is your experience with if?

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 25, 2017

Good question for the Texas folks here! Anyone?

5. Joyful!

Joyful! Cohort

Mar 29, 2017

@catnfiddle. That is good to know. :)
    I'm glad you are being a blessing to your community.

6. rahul tripathi

rahul tripathi New Member

May 3, 2017

I am teaching the software testing since 2010, and in 2011 i was awarded for the best teacher award, I just want to say, teaching is the best way where you can showoff your self. I am happy to my job. I am glad to my self. so thank you so much for putting this question.
    Rahul Tripathi
    CETPA Infotech Pvt Ltd.

7. Gary Wilson

Gary Wilson New Member

May 15, 2017

Hi everyone!
    Does anyone here know about the essay writing service provided by papermatic? Need a review or share your experience?

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 15, 2017

Since the members of AtoZ are almost all teachers or teachers in training, we do NOT advise anyone to use essay writing services. We consider those vehicles for cheating.

9. Walterhurley56

Walterhurley56 New Member

Jun 19, 2017

Would disagree with the previous comment. Asking a scientific writer, a professional essay writing service or assignment writers to write or an editor to edit your scientific publication is OK, especially for non-native speakers, provided this is made completely transparent and indicated in the acknowledgements. I don't prohibit my students to use such services.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  10. Kenz501

Kenz501 Comrade

Jun 21, 2017

I currently work at a detention center, but I'm thinking I don't really have the personality for it. I think I would do better as an online educator, but is there a legitimate way to do it without going back to school?

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 21, 2017

Are you licensed and highly qualified in your content area? Is your state one that has online charter schools as an option for students? Those are the main questions. Not every state has online K-12 education, but those that do tend to have fairly rigorous requirements for their teachers due to how they are audited.

12. Kenz501

Kenz501 Comrade

Jun 21, 2017

I'm highly qualified in my content area, but I heard that I was required to go back and get an online teaching certification. I just don't want to do that right now. School is expensive, and I don't know where I"m going with this job.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 21, 2017

I taught online for seven years without additional certification or endorsements, so it isn't every state or every school. What state are you in? If I saw correctly that you are in Alabama, your state has a few K12 franchises there. Check out their website and see what they may have in your area. You have nothing to lose by looking.

14. Teacher girl yeah

Teacher girl yeah Rookie

Jul 15, 2017

Hi! I have an interview this week for an online teacher position. I'm so nervous. What can I expect at the interview and a silly question, what should I wear?

15. Teacher girl yeah

Teacher girl yeah Rookie

Jul 15, 2017

Did you get the job? And with what K-12 school? How do you like it?

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 15, 2017

I'm assuming your interview is in person and not online. In that case, wear what you would to any other kind of teaching interview. You might be asked to show your ability using computer programs such as Microsoft Office. Is the school a franchise of a larger network such as K12, or is it an independent school?

17. Teacher girl yeah

Teacher girl yeah Rookie

Jul 15, 2017

It is a public cyber school. The interview will sort-of be in person. It's a video conference from one office to the main office.

18. Teacher girl yeah

Teacher girl yeah Rookie

Jul 15, 2017

How come you left online teaching? Are you teaching at a brick and mortar school now?

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 15, 2017

1. Definitely dress professionally! I ask mostly because some interviews are done online specifically to see how you would handle being on webcam. In this case, it's blended, so a suit top with fuzzy slippers is out.
    2. Currently, I'm in an in-person setting (I've always hated the term "brick and mortar") but with the high hopes to help implement an online component for our students. It wasn't specifically leaving online teaching, but moving from one school to another to open some new opportunities for myself (including going for my administrative license).

20. Teacher girl yeah

Teacher girl yeah Rookie

Jul 17, 2017

Thanks so much for answering my questions. : ) I picked out an outfit yesterday and am reviewing my interview "stuff" today. Have a great day and let me know if you have any interview tips.