So You Want to Be (or already are) an Online Educator?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Jul 13, 2014.

1. tamanna sultana

tamanna sultana Rookie

Jul 9, 2016

Online Teaching? How does it work?

2. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 9, 2016

Read some of the earlier posts. I've written pretty extensively. I can happily answer any questions.

3. Michael Ann Van Lengen

Michael Ann Van Lengen New Member

Jul 9, 2016

4. Michael Ann Van Lengen

Jul 9, 2016

Oh my goodness-- I googled online teaching interview and I've been reading your responses to people since 2009!!!! Sorry to bug you-- I read a lot and couldn't find an answer. I have my online interview doing my 10 minute lesson on Monday-- and I was assuming they would be able to see me in blackboard collaborate, but something told me to read the instruction sheet for a 5th time, and I noticed it only said audio capability. Did you do an online lesson-- and if so- could they see you, or just your "profile." Thanks in advance. CAVA should hire you to soley answer all of our questions!!!

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 10, 2016

I'm glad you asked, because I use my webcam a LOT. They will only be able to see you if you click on the "video" button on your end. I suggest, if you are able to create a profile before your interview, you make that picture count. Either way, make sure you are ready to click on the webcam button. When you're talking to your interviewers, make sure to look at where the camera is and not your own image. It's more challenging than you think.

6. Michael Ann Van Lengen

Jul 10, 2016

So they did want you to be on video for your interview? Or was it your choice? I'm glad I asked. I was planning on being on video for my lesson, but then it said I just needed audio capabilities, so I stopped stressing so much knowing I could have notes and reference them without having to do it without notes and all of the top of my head!

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 10, 2016

I had my interview in person for the position I'm in, but I once interviewed with two people remotely and one in person. Then, I've had to shift my focus between the camera and the person in the room. I was not given a choice about the camera.

8. Michael Ann Van Lengen

Jul 10, 2016

Thank you!!!

9. tamanna sultana

tamanna sultana Rookie

Jul 10, 2016

Hi cantfiddle,
    I skimmed all the posts but didn't get time to read thoroughly. I was a teacher in my home country.
    Now, I am living in Canada. Though I am studying in the computer field, I am fully interested in teaching profession. In my computer project, I made a website for kindergarten students. I really wanted to do something for the kids. How can I help you and also myself?

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 10, 2016

I'm not sure of where to get you started. I'm mostly here to help teachers who want to teach (or are already teaching) online as opposed to in a traditional classroom setting. Your work sounds like it might go better with K teachers in their own classes. Try posting in that sub-forum.

11. tamanna sultana

tamanna sultana Rookie

Jul 10, 2016

No, I am more interested in teaching online. I wanted to teach maths, science and computer. It is an amazing way of teaching. Actually, I didn't hear about it before. I just mentioned my website to give you the idea about making different teaching tools. How can I start teaching? Is it free or paid?

Thanks

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 11, 2016

I teach at an online school, not independently.

13. tamanna sultana

tamanna sultana Rookie

Jul 11, 2016

Does this school maintain different grades? Means grade 1,2 so on. Do the teachers use skype to communicate with the student? Does the school take exams?

14. tamanna sultana

tamanna sultana Rookie

Jul 11, 2016

I have an assignment on an online community. But I didn't know that I will get this amazing information. Now, I can at least dream about teaching. I will continue the interaction with you, but at the end of the August means after my exam, I will research on it. I am just asking you the general questions, as I can't resist myself from knowing the procedure.

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 12, 2016

1. There are different grades, but students may advance mid-year based on the number of earned credits. This may be different at other schools, as mine is only available in Ohio and is not part of a national franchise
    2. Skype is not used at my particular school, but we currently use Blackboard as an online platform for teaching. It does allow for real-time conversations and webcams.
    3. All students are required to take the state-wide exams as it is a public school.

16. tamanna sultana

tamanna sultana Rookie

Jul 12, 2016

Thank You so much for the reply.

17. tamanna sultana

tamanna sultana Rookie

Jul 14, 2016

Hi Cantfiddle,
    How do you feel about your students? It is very easy to interact with the students face to face.
    Does it take longer to communicate with the student? Actually, I want to know your feeling about teaching students whom you didn't see even.

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 14, 2016

I love my students! I may not be able to see them, but I develop some very close relationships with my kiddos over the phone and in my live teaching sessions. It's a one-on-one connection because of the individual contacts. Sometimes it takes a little longer to get in touch with some of my students (not everyone has a working phone, and not everyone really WANTS to talk with me), but it's worth the effort.

chessimprov likes this.
  19. tamanna sultana

tamanna sultana Rookie

Jul 15, 2016

Feelings for your students really amazed me.Now,I got the idea about teacher-student interaction.

20. michaelann

michaelann New Member

Jul 15, 2016

Hello Everyone- This might be a long shot, but I'm wondering if anyone has recently applied with California Virtual Academies. (California Managed Schools) I completed the application process and did my interview on Monday. I feel like it went pretty good, although I ran out of time right at the end to finish my lesson. They asked me questions for an hour after my lesson, some of which I was able to answer very well, and some were really tough. Anyways, I received and email from them yesterday and they reiterated that they were a enrollment based school, and that after my interview, I was considered and "active applicant" and should any positions arise during the 2016-2017 school year I would be contacted. I knew going in it was enrollment based, and that they likely would be hiring once students registered, etc. But another part of me feels like they must need people now, especially to train them before the year begins, and I was just not chosen. If anyone has applied, and received the same type of letter, could you reach out and let me know if you ever got a job, or were you just left in limbo and never heard anything else! REALLY don't want to apply other places, as this is the perfect fit for me right now, but I know I probably should anyways. Thanks in advance for any info!

catnfiddle likes this.