So You Want to Be (or already are) an Online Educator?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Jul 13, 2014.

1. EngJoseph

EngJoseph New Member

Jan 9, 2016

i used to give online courses and tips in Tech field, i liked it 50% only. But i stil do it

2. hinhina

hinhina New Member

Jan 22, 2016

I am interested to teach online too if u need anything ill be happy to do it. I have 24 years of experience in education feild and i am relaxing at hone for this year. I am ready for any help. And if u consider openning classes to teach arabic as its my native language i am ready for it

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 23, 2016

That is really cool! Unfortunately, I am merely a fellow teacher in my school and have no say over hiring. That being said, I think Arabic should be an offered language in high school, but we only offer Spanish and French at this time. Three of my students are Muslim and read / write it as a secondary language.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 11, 2016

Very cool! What grade / subject?

5. pshoemake

pshoemake New Member

Apr 4, 2016

This whole thread has been so interesting! So many varied life skills and locations but, one thing I have consistently seen is that you all care so so much about your students.
    I am still a student myself and am taking online courses as part of my undergraduate degree in Educational Studies.
    I know someone mentioned this briefly in a previous post but, do you guys see opportunities for online schools expanding? Do you see online programs becoming available through the public school systems? Or do you think it will only continue in more private school settings and collegiate level classes?
    And, just out of Curiosity, did any of you now currently teaching take online classes?
    Thanks so much for all of your thoughts! Can't wait to keep up with this discussion and see what happens. :]

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 4, 2016

I completed my graduate degree online through a state university. MANY colleges have online options. Now I'm taking a class here and there to add to my CE credits and possibly earn an additional certification.

As for online schools expanding, I definitely see opportunities, but there needs to be a great deal of vigilance. There are at least two online schools in my state who are in major trouble for playing fast and loose with their enrollment / attendance numbers. The toughest part of online teaching is making sure students are held accountable for logging in and engaging in their assignments.

7. rang

rang New Member

Apr 13, 2016

I recently did online courses with Educatam, there are 4 subjects on offer I think, I did handwriting and voice care and communication skills. I paid 65euro I just decided to do these 2 as there are no courses available at that price, and there are 5 lessons and mcq at the end of each lesson which was fine, they weren't difficult, you have 4 weeks to complete the course. Seems to be gauged for parents and younger teachers.

Interesting courses, very precise and to the point, which I liked, and very interesting to me, is that it was written by a teacher, not set up by a businessman like most are.

I didn't see any links to facebook or twitter but I am sure it will be advertised in a newspaper or google search which is where I found it. I am teaching only a few years, but recently started in junior school and needed some extra help without buying loads of books or travelling to different courses around the country.

Im gonna go back in the summer and do the speech and language course.

8. HenryOwen

HenryOwen New Member

Apr 20, 2016

I am interested to venture in online school someday!

9. Sassy98

Sassy98 Rookie

Apr 24, 2016

Thanks for the info. Lots of great tips here.

10. Brittany Anne

Brittany Anne Rookie

Apr 24, 2016

How do you become an online teacher? I am interested but can't find how?

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 24, 2016

Hit Google for "online charter schools" in your state. Not every state has them. If yours does, the search will give you a list of schools. You can also check your state's department of education for a teaching job bank. Many of them would list the type of position as "work from home".

12. Brittany Anne

Brittany Anne Rookie

Apr 24, 2016

Ok thank you!

13. kajalsengupta

kajalsengupta Rookie

Apr 25, 2016

I already am an online teacher but I freelance. I use the WizIQ online whiteboard for teaching. Live interaction ( both audio and text ) gives me a feeling as if I am teaching face to face. Since I can upload content any time before and after the class begins so I am prepared for the class beforehand. Viewing the recording is great for revision work and clearing doubts if any. Media player is great tool to include resources from the net. In short, I enjoy teaching online even more than face to face classes.

PallasAthena likes this.
  14. Coach Allen

Coach Allen New Member

Apr 25, 2016

Question is it possible to do both, teach online and teach in person? Anyone ever tried it?

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 25, 2016

If you're talking about tutoring or perhaps teaching on the university level as well as K-12, that's one thing. If my school caught you trying to teach at two places at once, you would have to give up one or the other. It's too much of a conflict of interest, not to mention a time suck.

16. kajalsengupta

kajalsengupta Rookie

May 12, 2016

Unless there is a conflict of interest I do not think there should be any problem. For example you may work for an institution as off line teacher and in your free time coach students online.

17. teacherquestions

teacherquestions Rookie

Jul 8, 2016

Ive thought about doing online teaching but not sure how it would work with science/labs. Ill have to talk to more online science teachers!

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 8, 2016

I cannot speak for all schools, but I've sat in on a physical science teacher's class that used Gizmos through ExploreLearning. They had at least one lab a week, and it was fantastic to watch!

19. tamanna sultana

tamanna sultana Rookie

Jul 9, 2016

Online Teaching? How does it work?

20. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 9, 2016

Read some of the earlier posts. I've written pretty extensively. I can happily answer any questions.