So what else works?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissaG, Jul 24, 2007.

1. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jul 24, 2007

I tend to agree with a lot that was said in the post regarding behavior management and its public display of student behavior. I was not taught to use these type of systems in college, but feel like it may be so popular because it is a definite system and easy to manage. With my 5th and 6th graders last year I kept track of discipline problems on a clip board with detentions as the consequence (as requested by the principal), but with moving to 3rd grade, I will be planning some sort of new system. I was ready to use a 'move the clip' type system until I read some of the arguments against it, and would like to know this: What, besides card type systems, do you use that work for behavior management?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2007

You could certainly keep anecdotal records of concerning behaviors on a clipboard- this is a good idea anyway in case you need to take any kind of referral action. Keep the clipboard for your own private use though. Try reading the following:
    Cooperative Discipline (Paperback)
    by Linda Albert

here's a great overview website:

http://cdiscipline.tripod.com/

4. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

I teach 1st grade and I am trying really hard to not use a card system. I am using a praise system that is called "The Keys to Success" Each student gets their own paper keys and when I see them doing something great I color in circles on the keys. When one key gets filled in they get a praise note home about their awesome accomplishments. This system will help me to take the time to recognize everyone on a daily basis. I will deal with misbehavior by 1 warning, next will be 5 min. off recess and then principle and note home. After 3 notes home parent conference. Not sure if key system will work because it is the first year I am trying it. I am sure there will be issues to work out.