So what else can someone with an education degree do besides teach?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by greenbay33, Feb 5, 2013.

1. greenbay33

greenbay33 Rookie

Feb 5, 2013

I know this is an age old question, but i'd love a straight answer. While i definitely want to get a teaching job, even I realize that I can't put all my eggs in one basket, and will need a full time job at some point besides subbing and working part time at a grocery store

So what am I qualified to do with an education degree besides teach? The market is really tough where I live (i'm in Nebraska btw). I have looked at other nearby states since i want to be close to family, but the market is a lot like it is here. I have applied to many different kinds of jobs and have received interviews for an HR position, an office job at State Farm Insurance, and a lot of call center jobs since I worked in a call center in high school.

However, i'd like something with at least liveable pay (not too much, if I only make 25,000 it's okay) and work in a team type office setting, or be able to work with people in a social services type job. So is there anything I can do besides teach, because even though I love teaching, I don't want to wait forever to get a social studies job

3. redtop

redtop Companion

Feb 5, 2013

If you happen to be good at math, take and pass a couple of actuarial exams.

I'm not trying to be obnoxious here, I know some people think I am (and they're probably right).

There are other, less rigorous certificates you can get in insurance, look at the Insurance Institute of America.

Nobody ever went to university to get a degree in underwriting. But there are a lof of them out there.

4. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Feb 5, 2013

There are several jobs you can get and the only requirement is a bachelors. I was at a company for a long time while job searching and I worked in the customer service department of a company. They required a bachelors degree only and asked that you had some customer service experience. I had very little customer experience, but I worked as a waitress a long time ago and they counted that. The salary was really good and I had full benefits.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2013

You could look for training jobs as well.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 5, 2013

I know Kroger hires co-managers with any 4 year degree. Check out the grocery chains near you.

7. greenbay33

greenbay33 Rookie

Feb 5, 2013

This is actually the most promising. I work part time at a grocery store not far from where I live. Its part of the Hy-Vee chain, and from what I can tell they accept most anyone with a four year degree,and in some places even two (most of those where I work have two year degrees). I figured that this might be a path for me

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2013

How long have you been looking for teaching jobs?

9. greenbay33

greenbay33 Rookie

Feb 11, 2013

One year, though i'm applying to a masters program where i'd get to teach in a catholic school in my state, while earning my masters. there are also religious requirements that are a part of it (living in community etc) so I was attracted because of my beliefs and want of a masters degree.

I didn't mention but i'm a 23 year old recent graduate, so its been tough finding jobs, and I just want to find one full time job thats decent even if it isn't teaching.

10. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2013

If you're convincing enough you can get a job doing anything. :thumb:

11. greenbay33

greenbay33 Rookie

Feb 11, 2013

Yeah, i'm not exactly a convincing person. I'm just an average guy who thinks he'd be a good teacher. Of course no one cares because i have no experience other than subbing to base it on