So this admin interview...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aces, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Aces

Aces Comrade

Oct 28, 2018

I suppose I just want to vent/rant with my peers here on this one.

So this admin interview coming up I don't even have a date yet – although sources tell me probably the last week of Nov into the first week of Dec – and I'm just insanely incredibly nervous about it. The whole thing is a constant thing on my mind that I've been playing with. It's a bit of a double whammy for me because for one I don't feel that I interview well at all. I get so nervous and feel like I'm going to throw up – and I have on occasion afterwards. But in the other hand I don't really feel I'm qualified.

My husband – although he means well – is working on my nerves about the whole thing. He keeps telling me "Just be yourself. Obviously they see some potential or they wouldn't bother with an interview". Well gee, thanks, myself is a nervous wreck. But I mean I get what he's saying...I think I'm just tired of hearing it. It's one of those things I'm obsessing over, thus so is he. We feed off each other really well which is admittedly annoying sometimes.

I don't know, I've been thinking about it – a lot actually – and I want it. I mean I really want it. Sure the position itself (aka the pay etc) is appealing but at the same time if I were to get it, the challenges are going to be stacked like a bad game of poker. I've always said that I like to be challenged, I like to be put in situations where there's going to be an up hill battle in order to be successful. And moreover from that, it makes one seriously ponder and wonder about how much good you could do, if any at all.

And at the same time, there's a very really consideration of what if I bite off more than I can chew? I know that on paper, the school is incredibly average. I mean yeah there's some bottom of the barrel students and some really outstanding shining stars too. But overall? Incredibly average. Sports teams are incredibly average or 'suspended' for this school year. There's some serious talent, sure, but at the same time, everything looks just incredibly average on paper. Honestly I don't know how else to describe it but from what I can tell from looking at the stats...just...average.

I guess if my peers (that's you guys) have any advice you want to share, go for it, I guess.

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 28, 2018

Which admin role is the interview for?

4. Aces

Aces Comrade

Oct 28, 2018

Principal

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 28, 2018

Elementary, Middle, or High School? Do you have any experience as an AP/VP?

6. Aces

Aces Comrade

Oct 28, 2018

It's for a high school, and no, no experience as a VP.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Oct 29, 2018

After reading YTG's question, I guess I'm wondering why you wouldn't apply for a VP position first before going right into Principal. It seems like VP would be a bit less stressful to start out.

8. Aces

Aces Comrade

Oct 29, 2018

I mean... It's open.... I'm going to stress out over the interview either way, regardless of which it's for. Once I'm in the position, though, I don't stress out like that.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Oct 29, 2018

But do you think they would prefer a candidate with some administrative experience? That part alone would stress me out. I think even if you don't get the job at least you will know what the interview is like for this type of position so you can definitely prepare better for future ones.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 29, 2018

In most districts, a candidate without experience as an AP wouldn’t have a shot in the dark.

Even as a 6th year AP, I still don’t have the desire to apply for a site principalship. One day? Yes! But not right now. I like the fact that the buck doesn’t stop with me. I can always refer/defer to my principal—which is comforting.

czacza likes this.
  11. Aces

Aces Comrade

Oct 29, 2018

Right I mean I don't really think whatever it is I bring to the table will stand against the experience. But like you said, even if I don't get the job, I don't walk away empty handed.

And while I don't want to get my hopes up, there is a chance it could happen. I guess it just depends on what the other candidates bring to the table and how the superintendent feels they'll fit into the school. It's possible that they're looking for something different other than the "standard admin formula".

12. Aces

Aces Comrade

Oct 29, 2018

Eh, I mean, it's a safety net honestly. And I've definitely been in situations where where I've had to make decisions without that safety net, so I've learned not to count on it being there. But if nothing else there's always someone you can bug for a different perspective.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 29, 2018

I know that one of the questions my district asks at every principal interview is how the AP has helped boost test scores at his/her site.

From chatting with my AP friends who’ve gone through the process of interviewing for a principal role, I just don’t see how the interview questions could be answered without having a wealth of experience and knowledge in some sort of admin role.

Best wishes to you, though!

Aces likes this.
  14. Aces

Aces Comrade

Oct 29, 2018

I know some of the questions will be more generalized, rather than specifics about VP roles. I've spoken with some of the other VP/Ps in the district and they're all telling me the same thing about the superintendent. He looks at more what you bring to the table and how you're going to fit into the overall community rather than specifically how you answer the interview questions, if that makes sense. In other words, they said he's more willing to take risks on someone who he feels is a good match for the overall environment, rather than the specific experience they have as a VP/P.

I also know that three of the current principals in the district were promoted directly from a teacher position to principal skipping VP entirely, so it's not impossible technically. But, I also don't know what if he anything he's looking for. All the VP/Ps I've talked to seem so vastly different that I can't seem to get a read for the pattern. Like there's one who is a strict disciplinarian who would like for teachers to paddle students. Then there's one that barely seems to do any discipline. There's a wide mix when it comes to the VP/Ps within the district.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Oct 29, 2018

Well, good luck. From the number of posts you've started about this it seems like you just need to relax a bit and not drive yourself nuts.

16. Aces

Aces Comrade

Oct 29, 2018

I agree but that's hard to do! I'm going to a conference on Thursday (and took Friday off) and my husband is on vacation this week so I think maybe we'll just have a day out together. And no I didn't take Friday off because of the conference I had already planned to have it off. But yeah you're right I need to stop stressing over it.

17. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Oct 29, 2018

I think there was a time when people got promoted to P positions without AP experience in elementary schools. My sense is in any location that has a plan for leadership development that this time has passed. I've never heard of someone becoming a high school P without VP experience.

I also think that being a P isn't about the P - its about the school - so doing it because you like a challenge means everyone in the building has to take a hit as you learn your role. I really wish you would consider applying to a VP position first - no matter who is telling you to apply to this P position.

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  18. Aces

Aces Comrade

Oct 29, 2018

At the same time, I push my self to succeed and overcome and challenges presented. Also, have applied to a few VP positions as well.

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 29, 2018

I think that if you're able to land a VP position, you're going to ask yourself (a few months into your role as VP), "What was I thinking trying to apply for a principalship before having a strong foundation as a VP???"

I'm never a fan of putting the cart before the horse.

agdamity, Aces and Always__Learning like this.
  20. Aces

Aces Comrade

Oct 29, 2018

Eh... I mean... It's kind of hard for me to say that. I was literally terrified of heights and I signed up for airborne school in the military. I have literally jumped out of planes into combat zones and was terrified of heights.

Honestly I know that the VP experience would be good and is one of the reasons I don't really think I stand a chance against the sheer experience that's on the table. So I have applied to both VP positions and this P position so irregardless... And one of the VP positions is in that same district at one of the middle schools.

21. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Oct 29, 2018

I think you are missing the point. The reason you need VP experience is not about you or your willingness to do scary things. It is about the community you are serving. Your community deserves someone with the requisite skills and training which can only be fully gained through experience as an AP.

greendream and czacza like this.