So that interview...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aces, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Aces

Aces Cohort

Oct 12, 2018

Okay so I talked to the superintendent's secretary over in the district where I'm supposed to be interviewing for that P job. Found out some info I'm still kinda mulling over.

For one, the current principal over there is being really wishy-washy about what he's going to do. He is supposed to stay until the end of the year. The original plan was that they were going to do their interviews in late February so that by the end of the year they can at least have their ducks in a line. With him being so wishy-washy and might be leaving after the end of the semester, they're going to move their interviews up to maybe beginning of December/end of November, somewhere in that neighborhood.

Which brings me to the next thing. There's three current principals, four current VPs, and one very odd science teacher interviewing for the position. And I honestly don't really feel like I'm going to have a chance. I don't exactly feel like I'm qualified standing next to them. I'm still going to go through my interview and everything, do my best but I'm going to try not to get my hopes up.

Then I'm hearing alot of negative stories about their current principal. It seems like everyone that's familiar with him is basically saying he's awful. And it's making me wonder if it's him or the position or the students or what. I mean obviously coming into a new district is an interesting situation to be in, simply because everyone is quick to gossip and tell you negative stories about everyone else. Which leads me to think about just taking it with a grain of salt and letting the chips fall where they may.

The other thing that is kinda bugging me is that she mentioned that there's a lot of staff complaints coming from the school. She said the teachers and everything seem disgruntled, upset, and outright ticked off. Which is also a tricky situation to be in.

If, on the long shot I actually get this position, I'm worried about what I could be walking into the middle of.

3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 12, 2018

I suppose the optimist would say you could go in and make a fresh start for everybody, but we all know it usually doesn't work so nicely.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 12, 2018

I'd go in for the experience. I say that FROM experience, and it led to my current teaching job (the candidate who got the admin job is now the principal and my mentor for my principal license).

Backroads, Aces and futuremathsprof like this.
  5. Aces

Aces Cohort

Oct 12, 2018

I mean... I really want to believe I could make a difference. But I seriously think I'm like 60/1 odds of actually getting it.

6. Aces

Aces Cohort

Oct 12, 2018

I agree. I mean at the very least I am going to go and give the best interview I can – however awful I feel my interviews are. The worst they can do is tell me no in which case the follow up is okay so what do I lack. How do I keep growing.

Backroads likes this.
  7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Oct 13, 2018

Well, if it’s any consolation I’m rooting for you! Hopefully, you’re “Moving on up, movin’ on up!”

And I think you bring a lot to the table as a veteran science teacher and wish you the best!

I’m sure you’ll eventually get a full-time P or VP position. If not this time, then maybe the next time. It’ll be great experience, regardless.

And you could highlight leadership roles or positions you might have had in the last. For example, if you were ever math/science department chair, if you ever ran any school clubs or events regularly, if you served on the school site council, if you ever worked in a district office, etc. Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  8. Aces

Aces Cohort

Oct 13, 2018

I mean... I am the science department chair. I jumped out of airplanes for a living...

9. Tulipteacher

Tulipteacher Companion

Oct 13, 2018

It may be worth going to the interview for the experience. In my district there is no way someone would move from teacher to principal without being an AP first. They wouldn't even interview you.

On one hand it would be good to interview to get on the radar as someone who wants to go into admin, but I also think it could backfire because it would look very presumptuous (at least in my district) to think that admin experience wasn't necessary to becoming a principal.

Always__Learning and agdamity like this.
  10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2018

The secretary seems to have loose lips o_O

11. Aces

Aces Cohort

Oct 13, 2018

I honestly have a tendency to agree here. I mean I honestly doubt that my quirkiness is going to stand against the sheer experience. But at the same time, I don't think they would be telling me about the interviews and stuff if was too taboo for me to at least interview. You know what I mean? Like I don't really think I've got the best odds – I wouldn't bet on me – but I think the experience will be at least worth it.

12. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Oct 13, 2018

That’s what I did before I applied at my current school. I chatted up the school secretaries and got very valuable information that came in handy during the interview process.

Aces likes this.
  13. Aces

Aces Cohort

Oct 13, 2018

Yeah I mean the secretary knows all.

futuremathsprof likes this.