So stressed & letter of rec question?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Sab, May 18, 2017.

1. Sab

Sab Rookie

May 18, 2017

In the last week I've gotten like 3 rejection emails for positions I applied for and never even interviewed for...I feel like most of my application materials are pretty strong and it's likely the lack of teaching experience and bilingualism that's hurting me the most, but there is one questionable bit in a letter of rec I have from my university supervisor, and I was wondering if that could be hurting me more than I think?
    It's: "An area Ms. Sab strived to build upon and enhance over time was her classroom management expertise. She continued to practice diverse engagement techniques" blah blah blah and goes into how I improved on it. It ends on a good note. However, it basically points out that my classroom management used to be kinda bad.
    Should I find someone else to write me a letter to replace it?
    Also, should I be following up with school districts?
    What else am I doing wrong? Is it just still early?? I just know a few of my friends from the credential program recently got hired already so I'm starting to panic a little. Though I know I am also being a little picky on the positions I apply for so I may have to lower my standards soon too.

3. pommom

pommom Comrade

May 19, 2017

I don't think that is hurting you. I have three recommendation letters, and I am not getting the chance to interview everywhere I applied to. Have you interviewed at all?

4. Sab

Sab Rookie

May 19, 2017

I've only had two interviews...one was in an area probably desperate for teachers and I ended up withdrawing my application after being invited to the second round, and another was not even a real interview but a mass speed dating interview type setup where I didn't make the second round at all. I've gotten a couple other emails being invited to hiring fair events but other than that no interview offers at all! That's why I'm just kind of concerned there's something wrong with my applications, but it could just be the schools are filling the positions with more experienced candidates or something.