So, still no baby?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by cocobean, Feb 11, 2017.

1. cocobean

cocobean Rookie

Feb 11, 2017

I've been married for two years and my husband and I are pretty young. It seems like ever since we got married, we've been asked a million times when a baby is coming! This is my first year teaching so a baby is not the top thing on my mind.
    At least let me get tenured before asking when I'll be having a baby. Kidding! Kind of :D

3. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Comrade

Feb 11, 2017

Look at the people asking, smile and say something like: I HATE KIDS...and for god's sake whatever you do, do NOT ride in a mini van...I made this mistake when I had a rental car....it just makes things 100x's more annoying.

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 11, 2017

I've been married 7 years this summer, and no baby here either, by choice. Eventually, people stop asking, at least in my experience. It's none of their business. People should be able to have kids (or not have them!) on their own time table and no one else's.

5. cocobean

cocobean Rookie

Feb 11, 2017

Ha! I like this. What gives you the impression I even like kids? :rofl:

6. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Companion

Feb 11, 2017

I am in the same position. Couples should live a little before family starts. Never let anyone pressure you into doing something with your life when you do not want to do it.
    I was dating my fiance for 8 months and people kept pressuring us about marriage. He eventually proposed when were together for a year. My wedding is two years from now.

7. otterpop

otterpop Fanatic

Feb 11, 2017

This happens to me too! :D I'm happy waiting for a while...

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 12, 2017

I would get sick of it too. It is a rude question as there is no good way for you to answer without feeling awkward. At some point my internal monologue would escape with some snarky remark like "So, no vericose veins yet?" and get me into trouble.

otterpop likes this.
  9. otterpop

otterpop Fanatic

Feb 12, 2017

And it's personal! It's hard to answer without going into details about your life choices.

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 12, 2017

Another reply option might be something like, "We are doing our part. It's up the the Fates/God/Powers that Be to make things happen now." Who can argue with that? And no one will want the details (though you could offer :)

cocobean likes this.
  11. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Habitué

Feb 13, 2017

yaassssss, it's so annoying. We JUST recently got engaged, but people have been asking us about babies long before that (granted, we have been together for almost a decade, but even so).
    And now, it's "when's the wedding?", "have you picked a date yet?", but I still get the occasional, "so when are you having a baby?"
    Calm down, people. As much I want babies, it's just not the right time! And if you're someone that needs to know the wedding date (flying in), I will let you know! But half the people asking I don't even plan on inviting so... :rolleyes:
    I feel ya.

cocobean likes this.
  12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 13, 2017

"Practicing like crazy. Why do you ask?"
    Oh, how I WISH I had been given that line when I was younger.
    :whistle:

13. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 13, 2017

People must know me well by now because we never get that one

We did get the "when are you getting married" all the time before we got married.

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Feb 13, 2017

People are always asking about the next event. I am single, but in the last 2 years all of my close friends and siblings have gotten married. I am so tired of people asking me about my dating/personal life. And my married friends are all being asked about babies. Assume people mean well, but it does get old!

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2017

Cat... I was going to say something like you... Like would you like us to let you know when we are getting "busy"??? I wish I had a good come back line. Lol. When we had one child... So when are you going to add a sibling or brother/ sister. When I get some sleep... Lol.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Feb 14, 2017

How annoying for you!! Seriously, it's nobody's business. You are being quite smart and waiting until you're settled in career and life. Just tell them that. If many of our students' parents had waited until they were stable to have kids, we wouldn't have so many problems.

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 16, 2017

Quick anecdote on this one. My parents were very aware that any grandchildren they would get would be from my brother's family, not from Rockhubby and me. They have never given me a moment of grief about it since I had been clear on my feelings since I was a teenager. However, one time at a family dinner, my cousin's wife pulled me aside and told me how upset and bereaved my parents actually were. It was my duty to provide grandchildren, and I was failing them, was what she told me.

The phone call I had with my mother after that was... interesting. My parents had said nothing of the sort to anyone, and they were furious for my cousin's wife making assumptions and inserting themselves into my reproductive cycle. My mother told her, in no uncertain terms, that some things were nobody's business but mine. In an odd way, that intrusion made things a lot smoother and better for me in the long run.

Backroads likes this.
  18. Backroads

Backroads Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2017

Bah! I hate when people do that. What concern is it of theirs if someone is having kids or not?

19. ms.irene

ms.irene Devotee

Feb 16, 2017

I really hate this question for a lot of reasons. Here are a few:
    1) It is making the assumption that everyone wants kids. Not everyone does, and that's OK. But asking in this way implies that it's just expected, which I can't stand.
    2) You never know what the person is going through. Maybe they have had a miscarriage, or four. It happens way more often than most people realize, because not everyone wants to talk about such a traumatic experience.
    3) They could be "trying" and having trouble conceiving, which for some people is embarrassing (although it shouldn't have to be). It's kind of like asking a depressed person, "so, when will you be normal again?". There are some things we can't control.
    4) It's just plain nosy! Would you walk up to someone and ask, "how often do you and your partner have sex?" I'm guessing no, but that's essentially what this question really means.
    5) The couple might be having a really hard time deciding. Having a baby is not a simple thing to do, especially if you and your partner have worked really hard to get where you are in your careers, and as a woman and a teacher, you don't want to lose seniority, tenure status, etc, while also losing money, sleep, physical health, etc, until you are darned sure that your life won't be better for it.
    End rant.

DizneeTeachR and yellowdaisies like this.
  20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2017

I hate when people ask this! Do you have any pets? If so, I would be sarcastic and say we do have children...named Tank and Shadow! LOL Even my dad refers to them has his grandbabies. Side note: I do have a child

DizneeTeachR and ms.irene like this.
  21. ms.irene

ms.irene Devotee

Feb 16, 2017

My mom calls my dog her "grandogger" lol!