So much to do, so little focus!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by sammyrams, Jul 28, 2010.

1. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Jul 28, 2010

I have all of this stuff to do for the beginning of school and no focus whatsoever! AHHHH! I have to revamp my curriculum a bit, make new data sheets, put together my new classroom, make curtains for the windows and doors in my room, get ready for a new student I just got notice of, make new items in Boardmaker and get them laminated, figure out how to hang my fiber optic curtain in my sensory room, etc.

I think I feel overwhelmed and just can't get focused because of it, and the fact that I have a 2 year old at home that keeps me busy all day.
    Sorry, just venting.

3. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 28, 2010

I hear you. When Mikey (my son) was smaller (before he started school himself) I found it very hard to do any work in the summer as he seemed to need me 24-7 and I was exhausted just trying to keep up with him. It is much easier now that he can entertain himself for periods of time (even it is just playing does dreaded video games).

How much time do you have before you start? Are you fortunate enough to have grandparents near by that your son can go for a sleepover at? I love that as before kids I used to go in and work late at night but couldn't do it often once I adopted Mikey. When he stays over at grandma and grandpa's in the summer I still do it :).

Good luck. I hope the motivation comes but know that we all have summers like that.

4. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 28, 2010

Hey Sammy, it all works out in the end. Just start with one thing and get that one done and then move on to the next. Baby steps. I know it sounds impossible - but you'll get it all done! And hey - if you don't get it all done by day one, don't be too hard on yourself. Just keep working on it. No one is going to die if those curtains aren't done in time, right? ;) (But I do feel your pain.)

5. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Jul 28, 2010

I think I need to make a list! If I do that then maybe I can focus. I should work during naptime, but that is easier said then done when I have to do everything else then cause she is actually sleeping. I will get there, yes yes I will! Thanks for listening!

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 28, 2010

Make a list - it really will help. I have made two list - one list of the things I can do at home to prep for next year and the other list is what needs to be done in my classroom. If I don't have my list when I go to my classroom, I just spend time socializing, reading emails, checking A to Z :), and just about anything else because I am so easily distracted. I have had my same lists for about 10 years and just add the few new things from year to year.

BTW - I have a hard time focusing and my "baby" at home is 16 :)

7. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2010

I second the list idea! It helps me. I have so many projects going at the same time right now. I get started on something, it makes me think of something else, I start that, then I forget about the other, then I go back to it, well you get the picture.

Hopefully, by September 7, it will all be done. :cool:

8. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 28, 2010

I am a big fan of lists :). I love checking things off. I usually go with the "I have to finish these things before having fun" strategy and do my work first thing in the morning and then spend time with my son in the afternoon. Sometimes I even stay up at night so that I can start playing first thing the next morning!

9. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 28, 2010

Ah! Lucky you. I only have until Aug. 20... :unsure:

10. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Jul 29, 2010

September 7th would be nice! My kids come back on August 24th! AHHHH!

Ok, I am making a list today. That is the first step!

11. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 29, 2010

Right, and now you can cross that off. One thing done already! :D

12. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Jul 29, 2010

didn't get it done! Uggg!

I did get a bunch of ebay auctions up though!

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2010

Last year, when things were really busy and my Special Ed partner and I were getting frustrated with our "To Do" lists getting longer and longer, we decided to start a "Done" list instead. Everyday, we sat down at the end of the day and wrote down all that we had accomplished--it was encouraging to focus on the positive--what we had done--rather than looking at all we still needed to do.

14. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 30, 2010

Man, that's actually not a bad idea. I might have to try that one when I get into my room! :thumb:

15. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

Get your list made and prioritize things.

16. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Jul 30, 2010

I did it! Woohoo! Now I am on track and ready to start working on the list next week.