So, I just found out some interesting news today...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teacher234, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Feb 6, 2018

The name is not exactly descriptive. Sorry about that, but the title was getting way too long.
    I just found out some interesting things regarding curriculum delivery at my school.
    (I had knowledge that teachers were changing up instructional methods, but I did not know it was like this.)
    In my elementary school:
    -For math: some classrooms use engageny modules, some use PearsonSuccessNet (I use this), some Everyday Mathematics (I thought this was eliminated), and a few are using khan academy.
    -This happens in the other subjects, but it is not as segmented as Mathematics.
    -A lot of the teachers (Including me) are designing their own curriculum materials.
    Has this ever been the case for you/Is it happening now? What are your thoughts? (I am curious to know what teachers out my district feel about this.)

3. Kat.

Kat. Companion

Feb 6, 2018

You mean everyone doing something totally different from each other? Yep. And it doesn't work very well...not for us, anyway.

4. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Feb 6, 2018

Eeek! Avoid Everyday Mathematics like the plague! That series is the sole reason many of my classmates and I struggled with honors math after having A's before. EM teaches a lot of "trick" methods that don't work with higher level math. I'm fine with teachers making their own curriculum as long as it meets the standards, but geez, teaching completely different methods for solving is going to be a train wreck.

5. svassillion

svassillion Companion

Feb 6, 2018

This would be a no go in my current district. They like to know every 1st grader (or any grade) is getting the same curriculum and methods covered on the west side of the city as they are on the east side. And they like the cohesiveness between grades. My last district was a bit of a mixed bag. K taught Envisions while 1-5 taught Everyday Math and one teacher at each grade level piloted Go Math. I definitely agree with teachers tailoring the curriculum to their style and their students though. I can't teach a scripted lesson well.

6. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Feb 6, 2018

Isn't it a lovely situation? Then, you get to the special classes (including my class)...and it gets scrambled.
    I do not know how it works out. (I'll stay in my corner of the school....I guess)

7. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Feb 6, 2018

I totally agree with you. Scripted lessons are absolutely no way to teach and they bore the teacher and the student.

8. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Feb 6, 2018

In my opinion, I did like teaching Everyday Mathematics....sorry. Then again, I had freedom to take the lessons in many different directions. The teachers follow the standards...I guess, but design their own curriculum.

9. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Feb 6, 2018

If you are wondering if this thread started because of a question, a statement that needed some thoughts, or starting a chat, I could not tell you. I actually have no idea.

10. Kat.

Kat. Companion

Feb 6, 2018

Yeah, it's not only leaving the students with gaps but the teachers suffer too. Especially me as a new teacher...I'm pretty much on my own since we can't actually plan as a team when we're all on different pages.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 7, 2018

I worked in private schools only, and we had complete freedom in all subjects. I liked the calendar portion of Everyday Mathematics and used it in several different grades. In some ways it was good because teachers could play to their strengths. Unfortunately, they could avoid what they didn't like. Students had gaps and there was little chance of building on prior knowledge in some subjects. Writing was a disaster.

12. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 7, 2018

We have core curriculum, and are expected to be relatively cohesive with our team (with that curriculum as our "main" curriculum; we can supplement with other stuff), but there is certainly flexibility and varying styles that we have.