So here's what they did to our rooms this summer

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sarge, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2009

They had to clean them. That included shampooing carpets.

To do that, they had to move all the furniture to one side, clean half the carpets, and move all the furniture to the other side and do the other side.

Then the cleaning crews left.

They did not move the furniture back.

I asked our custodian and he said the district is not paying for custodians to move the furniture back. Teachers have to do that themselves. He may have time to help.

Is this normal? Were we just spoiled over the years of having janitorial staff replace furniture they moved when cleaning?

3. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 10, 2009

Well I know that everything inside of our rooms that is not bolted down is moved into the halls when the room is cleaned. Everyone says you're very lucky if you get your things back.

I had to box and label everything in June before leaving (even though it wasn't my stuff) because we were not only having our rooms cleaned, but switched as well. I'm interested to see what is left tomorrow LOL.

So I think you were definitely spoiled. lol

4. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Aug 10, 2009

Well when I came back everything was in the same place... And still is, since it is stuck to the floor. They don't move anything out at all, they just wax around it. I cannot tell you how many tiles we broke when I moved student desks around this year.

5. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

They move all of our stuff into the halls to wash and wax the floors. Sometimes they wait until the wax is completely dry before they pile it all back in. Sometimes they don't and things are stuck to the floor like the PP said. This year, they waited until the floor was dry and moved things back in. They had asked for a diagram, which I drew on the chalk board. This year they actually followed mine. Apparently I was one of few lucky ones in that aspect this year. Normally we have to go hunt for our items. I haven't come up with anything missing... yet.

6. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 10, 2009

Ours move everything and then replace it in the classroom. The janitor for my wing even tried to place everything back where it had been (w/o a picture). She stopped by and even asked me if it was ok, and did she get it right.

I personally think it is part of their job. They are responsible for summer cleanup, and they should put the furniture back into classrooms. They should also be available to help move the heavy things. I couldn't do it alone.

7. traveler

traveler Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

You are lucky. You get clean rooms!! ha ha
    Our stuff is moved all over the place. He says he will put it back but never does. It is kind of a game of chicken. He waits us out and we freak because we want out rooms ready before school starts. I think he waits until the last second to rearrange the furniture but by that time we have already done it.

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 10, 2009

I have NEVER had furniture moved back into their places, but I like experimenting on my own, anyhow.

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2009

Sarge, that is how it is every year for me. I have to move everything back myself. :(

10. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 10, 2009

Okay, I have have to vent. In June, I cleaned my room, wiped down the tables, stacked the chairs, put everything away to get ready for the Facilities Crew to clean. I swept the floor and emptied the trash. My room was spotless.

Last week the church used my classroom for Vacation Bible School.

I went to my class today and it is dirtier then it was when I left in June. Everything is pushed to one side. The trash is overflowing with fruit flies circling, the floor is filthy, tables have crayon scribbles on them. I have 2 weeks until school starts!

I would have been thrilled to move my furniture around a clean room today. I had to move it around a smelly, filthy room.

The Facilities Secretary called to ask when I was leaving so they could clean. I left at 4:00 in a foul mood.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

11. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2009

I got into my room this afternoon for the first time, and I'm pleased to say the rugs look great and the desks are in more or less the right places.

I also found out the entire administrative line-up, and I think we're going to have a great year! The one opening has been filled by a former teacher from our school who was a BTSA consultant the past two years. This is the best administrative team we've ever had - I'm thrilled.

12. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 10, 2009

I have to put everything up on the back counter and in the closets at the end of the year. My furniture pretty much ended up in the right spot but they managed to lose one of the pegs that hold up the shelf in my bookcase. Not sure how to fix that one.

13. Terri in CA

Terri in CA Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

At my daughters school the classrooms are 1/2 laimnate tile and 1/2 carpet. The janitor moves all the furniture off the carpets and cleans all the carpets in all the rooms. Then goes back and moves all the furniture back onto the carpets and cleans and waxes the laminate tile. Then he puts the classrooms back as close as he can. I watch him every summer when I take my daughter to summer camp. It takes him 9 weeks to do it to 30 classrooms.

14. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2009

We had a summer school course at our school so we were told to put all of our items in boxes and big items in the corner and tape butcher paper around it. They told us to lock all of our closets to keep the summer school kids out.
    I went up to my room yesterday to get something and the cleaning people had taken everything outside of the closets and disinfected and put everything back in. My closets are now very organized thanks to the cleaning crew :)

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2009

Wow- I now feel even more fortunate to teach where I do. In June as we pack up, we draw a map of how we want our classroom arranged. Custodians move everything into the hallway (one classroom at a time to prevent mixing items), wax the floors (so shiny!!), steam clean the carpets and then move everything back in according to your map. I even got my room painted last year as part of the cleaning process and everything was back where I wanted it.. It's awesome.

16. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2009

You can buy them at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. There are some that are round on one side and sort of flat on the other. I guess that's so you can use them either way. I had to replace some of mine this year, too.

17. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Aug 10, 2009

We clean up our classrooms in June and pack up all our belongings into labeled boxes. The custodians bring everything into the hallways to wax the floors. When everything is dry, they bring everything back in and arrange it how it was. If we want anything to be rearranged, we just draw out a map for them. Sometimes things go missing, but for the most part, everyone is happy.

18. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2009

Usually there isn't a problem, but this year was a mess. I don't blame them, though. Two fifth grade classes moved to other rooms in the same hallway, music room moved out of hallway to another one, 3 fourth grade classes moved into the hallway from out in the portables, 3 first grade classes moved down the hallway to the first grade section......

There was furniture piled everywhere in the hallway. I put painter's tape on everything that was mine and got almost all of my things back, but they just didn't have time to arrange the classrooms.

They did help move the heavy things around, though, when I came back.

19. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Aug 10, 2009

at our school, it's pretty much every man for himself and God for us all, lol. We get done in June. You stay a day or two more cleaning out the room. (I had to stay an extra day so that I could finally clean out all the C-R-A-P that I inherited from the previous teachers). I cleaned out my locker (each classroom has one locker for teacher use), my desk, my filing cabinet and my bookshelves. I took down all the decorations put them on the bookshelves and covered it with butcher paper. Then I left.

We have the district's summer school at my school so the janitors can't clean or wax until about 3 weeks before school. They tell you to put your name on anything you want back, so I printed out labels and put them on my desk, my chair, my filing cabinet, my podium, my supply table, my supply drawers, etc. The janitors then pull everybody's everything out of the classroom and push EVERYTHING down to the end of the hall and wax all the classrooms and the hall. Then they put "everything" back, but it's a pretty good chance, even with the labels, that not everything will make it back to your classroom and you will have to put out a "milk carton" e-mail.

I walked into my classroom for the firs time today since I left in early June and I'll my furniture had been pushed into the far west corner of the room. So I had to move everything back, including arranging the chairs, the table and recruiting another teacher to help me move my desk. The only thing the janitors help with are the file cabinets, which are generally accepted as too heavy for the female teachers to move, and the furniture you want removed from your classroom. That's the accepted practice.

20. kinderdl

kinderdl Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

Wow for the people who get there stuff put back. At my school in May we have to put 100 percent of everything away and our secretary comes in with a checklist. When I re enter in August, I have to move all my furniture, carpets ect. back into place. The only thing they put back is our filing cabinets. Then they make a little note on the bb please do not drag anything on the floor. So I drag my poor hubby in to help me move the heavy stuff.

21. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 10, 2009

Ours piles up half the room, cleans, then piles everything up on the other half to do the remaining side. So when we walk in carpet is rolled up, tables stacked and inevitably the arrangement I have in my head means I have to move everything opposite of where it was left. I am glad they clean and wax, but that first day back is a lot of gruntwork moving furniture.