So Discouraged! Thoughts, please...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MrsBMomof4, Jun 5, 2018.

1. MrsBMomof4

MrsBMomof4 Rookie

Jun 5, 2018

I had a successful interview, and I made it to reference checks...
    Job reposted today!!
    Still haven't heard anything. How disappointing. Thoughts?

3. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 5, 2018

Are you 100% sure reference checks are backing you up?
    I kinda know what you mean, I interviewed for a position two weeks ago.
    This job posting had a close date where they put down the posting.
    I noticed it went back up yesterday, and the close date is another two weeks.
    So to me, this means they do not like who they interviewed so far. I haven't heard anything from them.

4. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Jun 5, 2018

Don't give up!
    I came out of the womb knowing I wanted to be a teacher. It took me over a year to find a job, and this is in Utah where jobs are in high demand because there are so many tiny people in the state. In frustration I went to visit my aunt who was in a similar scenario back in the 1980s. It took her over 5 to find a full time position.
    She told me that resilience and perseverance are qualities of good teachers, so this was good practice for when I became a teacher.
    Keep going, keep pushing, keep trying.

Been There likes this.
  5. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 5, 2018

Yes, even with great certifications and experience, it is not simple getting teaching job for those that are not the best at interviewing (like me). I can get a teaching job, but I get offers towards the end of summer when the great interviewers are already taken.

6. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 5, 2018

I will also add that I do have my interview questions and answers written down. I constantly practice before interviews as well. So I am trying to break that " late summer hire curse" this time.

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 5, 2018

Maybe your reference checks were not good. Recently, when I was on a interview committee, we had a candidate who we LOVED. She didn't get the job. When we asked our principal why he didn't hire her, he alluded to poor reference checks. Sometimes the people who you think will say good things about you just don't.

Been There likes this.
  8. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Jun 8, 2018

I'm not sure where you are, but where I live there are so many people interviewing for positions, you really can't get yourself excited. I have a coworker who had 17 interviews all in our one district last summer. She didn't get any of those positions and ended up getting hired part time temp after the school year started. Did you interview with a specific school or with HR? The reference check may have just been an initial clearance and you may be in a pool of other candidates awaiting interviews with principals. It can be tricky and have nothing to do with you at all. There may just be someone else who they know better. I missed out on a job due to an ongoing lawsuit from someone suing the district. Part of the legal situation was that she had to be placed somewhere. Even though the principal didn't want her, the district didn't give a choice. All kinds of gears are turning behind the scenes and we never know most of it.

Been There likes this.
  9. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jun 9, 2018

It's so true that there are often many factors behind the scenes that determine who is ultimately hired. The entire process can be extremely fast or painfully long and drawn-out. In the worst cases, I frankly think that some interview panels don't really know what to look for in a strong candidate.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  10. alp123

alp123 Companion

Jun 12, 2018

I'm in a similar boat only one of my references apparently is "too busy" to get back to the new P. I'm not surprised, one of the reasons I left the school. I did give another reference that called me after he spoke to the new P. Haven't heard back from the P or district. They had me sign a contingent contract which is basically riding on my references. So, I'm pretty sure the new P isn't very happy with the how long the reference check is taking. Unfortunately, I have no control over that. I gave her a different reference and he called me afterwards and told me she asked if I could handle teaching low income students because most of my experience is in nicer districts. Why even have me sign a contingent contract if you don't trust I can do the job? The interview was a panel of principals and the director of human resources. The HR director is the one who hired me. I already am getting a bad feeling so I started applying again today. I can't work for a P who doesn't believe in me. At the interview, I mentioned my 8 years of experience with alternative ed. That P was at the interview so I'm not sure what's going on. I don't even know if the job is still on the table and I'm a little frustrated by the whole thing.

Hang in there!!