Snack Time Help

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by corunnermom, Sep 21, 2012.

1. corunnermom

corunnermom Rookie

Sep 21, 2012

I'd like some ideas about how to do snack time. I teach a mixed class of 3 and 4 year olds. School starts at 8:30 and we usually eat snack as a group at 9:00. Some of the kids are hungry and some aren't...some take a long time to eat and some gobble. After snack we do small groups during which the students rotate among three teacher-directed learning activities (letters, numbers, theme activities) for a half hour. I've been dabbling with two ideas: make one of these activities a snack time in which students would serve themselves family style or make snack a free choice center whereby students could get snack whenever they wanted to. Any ideas or thoughts?

3. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Sep 22, 2012

Many years ago, I worked in a preschool, and snack was done outside at the picnic tables. When students were done eating, they were dismissed to go play on the playground. that way, those who were slower at eating could keep eating while the others start to play. We do snack the same way at my elementary school now. Students are welcome to bring a snack to eat at the picnic tables during morning recess if they wish. Those who are hungry can eat, and those who are not can go ahead and play.