Snack Letter to Parents

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Butterfly978, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Butterfly978

Butterfly978 Rookie

Jul 30, 2012

How do you do snacks in your classroom? In the past I have had each child bring their own snack everyday. I am thinking about doing a community snack this year and having each child bring a snack for everyone once per month. What is your opinion on individual vs community snacks?

3. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jul 30, 2012

I post a calendar with a snack listed for each day on my parent info board. Each parent picks one day (or more if needed) and writes their name on the day they picked. They bring the listed snack (enough for the whole class) in the morning of their day. If parents don't sign up, we assign them days.

Also, for children with allergies- the parent is responsible for bringing their child's snack if they are unable to eat what is posted on the calendar.

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 30, 2012

I've always have had students bring in their own snacks. If they don't bring one then they don't have one.

When my own kids were in kindergarten we paid a supply fee & the teacher supplied the snacks. As a parent of a child with a food allergy I had to work very closely with her & supply my son's snacks myself.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 30, 2012

I've never had snacks. My favorite snack idea was to have a snack station available during work stations/centers, the kids could choose to go there during stations, or not. The teacher kept it very simple, they had a choice of 3 saltines or 5 animal crackers. The boys brought saltines and the girls brought animal crackers. When one got low, she sent home a note too all the boys or girls and then kept a list of who brought some and the next time only sent it to the parents that hadn't sent it the last time.

6. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2012

At one of the preschools I worked at in CA, we offered snacks as a Center, and it worked GREAT! I kept an eye out on it though, so the ones whose eyes were bigger than their stomachs; were kept in check.
    Rebel1

7. Butterfly978

Butterfly978 Rookie

Jul 30, 2012

I like the idea of a snack center. I will be teaching life skills so I think that would be good daily practice.

8. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Jul 30, 2012

I don't like the idea of parents being required to supply snacks to an entire classroom once a month. Just...doesn't sit well with me.

9. Butterfly978

Butterfly978 Rookie

Jul 31, 2012

How do you do snacks or do you not have snacks? I tried supplying them myself one year, but it got very expensive.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2012

I think kids should bring their own snacks.

11. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jul 31, 2012

I should of mentioned in my post, that I work in a private school, where it is required for parents to bring in snacks as part of their tuition. I know the public school district near me, the teachers provide snacks if they choose to do snack time.

12. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Jul 31, 2012

Oh...okay. :)

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2012

This is what all of our students do.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Maven

Jul 31, 2012

I already spend way too much on supplies for my classroom. I draw the line at supplying snacks. If the children want a snack, they can bring their own.

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 31, 2012

What do you do if a parent forgets or simply can't afford to send in a snack for an entire class?

16. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2012

I think it's a better idea for parents to send in snacks for their own children. I teach special education like you, and a good percentage of kids are on a special diet. Plus, you have parents who cannot afford to supply the whole class with snacks.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2012

I taught preK for a year in a high school...the tuition included snack twice a day for kids...I did all the shopping..it was quite time consuming!
    With all the focus on nutrition, considering kids allergies and food sensitivities, and not knowing the cleanliness of families kitchens or financial strain snack shopping may cause them, I'd opt for kids bring their own...encourage small, healthy to eat snacks...you could provide a list of 'good' suggested snacks. Families knw best what their kids like and what they can and can't eat.:2cents:

18. Butterfly978

Butterfly978 Rookie

Jul 31, 2012

My problem in the past with having each child bring their own is that they bring things like cakes, chips and sodas. We are supposed to send those kind of snacks back home. Do you let your children eat the snack if it is not healthy?

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2012

I would take the soda and offer water. Send a note home stating you allowed the child the cake or chips TODAY but that in keeping with policy, snacks should be nutritious...attach a list of suggested snacks.

20. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 31, 2012

When I had snack I stated no chips, cupcakes or like foods. I did include a list of good choices. This was included as part of my orientation packet. I did not allow the child to eat whatever.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  21. melnm

melnm Companion

Jul 31, 2012

I work in a small private school and parents are required to send snacks for the whole class on a rotating basis. Last year was my first year and they brought whatever. Sometimes total junk. I was not impressed. So this year I'm going to send home a suggested list of healthy snacks. We also have a parent that is a doctor who specializes in nutrition so I think I'm going to see if he can come in and talk to the kids about healthy eating choices. Maybe I'll see if he'll talk at parent night too!