Snack as a center

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Christina Blocksom, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Christina Blocksom

Christina Blocksom New Member

Aug 30, 2016

I teach older 2s through young 4s, at least that is my spread this year. The majority of my class have just turned 3. I'm considering offering snack as a center rather than having a separate group snack to avoid more transitions as well as to lengthen play time. Does anyone have any experience with this? I can't find any written guidance on this from the State of Virginia from a food safety issue. So I'm interested in that, but also if anyone has tried this model and how it worked. Thanks.

3. pabef

pabef Comrade

Aug 30, 2016

I have done this, but it was a make your own snack center. For instance when we did a picnic theme, I had a watermelon and a melon baller that they could use (with supervision). I have done cheese and crackers, apples and peanut butter and other items that they could make themselves. I tried to come up with snacks to fit the theme. I did it for one class and have not done it since. It was fun and easy, just messy.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2016

I really like this.

I'm not sure if it would be age appropriate, but maybe OP could also include stuff like setting the table (napkins, cups, whatever) or table manners?

pabef likes this.
  5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 31, 2016

It's a great idea. They can learn how to set the table, serve the food and how to clean up afterwards. LIFE SKILLS! :D

I've done it before. Especially when I had so many kids. They ate in shifts! LOL