Slow workers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by otterpop, Oct 10, 2018 at 8:35 AM.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 10, 2018 at 8:35 AM

I have a sweet little girl in my class who is slow as molasses when it comes to getting work done. Lately she's been working at my small group table with me. I'd thought it was either an attention issue or a learning issue, but when I've watched her work more I think it's just her honest pace. The answers are correct, the work looks great, but it takes twice as long to get it done. Would you send it home or shorten the assignment? She's a good kid but I think it would be frustrating to send incomplete assignments home as it would be daily. How would others address this?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 10, 2018 at 9:28 AM

I had this same experience with a lovely young girl who was certainly bright enough, and maybe a bit too over-concerned with getting things right. I, personally, would shorten the assignments.

4. rpan

rpan Cohort

Oct 10, 2018 at 9:30 AM

I’ve had kids who are slow in producing work because they want everything to be perfect not because they don’t understand the work. Sometimes what I do in this case (if possible) is get verbal answers to the incomplete parts and get the student to finish the work at home if they can. If they can then great but if they can’t find the time I’m not super bothered because they have demonstrated understanding with the verbal answers. Especially if the kid has good attitude and is using class time productively and it’s genuinely a pace issue. I’d also have chats with the parents because they need to work with the kid at home over time to get them to be less focussed on perfection or to pick up the writing pace or identify if the kid has to work with a professional to get over this hump.

5. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2018 at 12:14 PM

I have the same exact issue with a little boy. He works hard and is generally not misbehaving, BUT he is work time is VERY VERY slow. I ave mentioned this too mom twice and both times she said she would take care of it. But it is still going on. Today I am starting to take play centers away in order for him to finish his work. At first I tried just letting it slide that he didn't finish or it took forever but the more I let slide the less and less he going to learn. I hate taking away the play centers but I really his work to be completed. BTW this was an ongoing issue last year with LOTS of documentation from the previous teacher.

6. heatherberm

heatherberm Comrade

Oct 10, 2018 at 7:55 PM

If the work is accurate and she seems to understand what you're doing, I'd probably shorten the assignments a bit. I'd be more concerned about doing that if she seemed to need the additional practice of the full assignment.

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 11, 2018 at 12:38 AM

I have a different student (different class) that is like this too. For him, it seems to be pure laziness. He just can't be bothered to get the work done. I spoke with his mom. She said it had been an ongoing issue and both punishment and reward had been tried in the past and weren't effective.

Every student is different... While I don't think the child in my original post has any type of learning disability, I feel this boy may. However, I think I should probably start documenting in other ways, because "he doesn't do his work" wouldn't qualify on it's own for services.