SLLA 6011- admin exam

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by frteach, Jan 24, 2016.

1. OakwoodmsLandshark

OakwoodmsLandshark Rookie

Aug 4, 2018

Got my score back!! 182! Thank goodness!!

whizkid and futuremathsprof like this.
  2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Aug 4, 2018

Excellent work! Well done!

3. Bookstabern1

Bookstabern1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2018

I'm taking my SLLA in NJ on Thursday. I've never been good at standardized tests, in fact I'm awful I've been studying for months and no matter what example tests I take I always select the wrong answers. Does anyone have any helpful tips for me? This is so stressful.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 5, 2018

I just took it last month. I would say to pace yourself and not overthink. Go with your gut.

5. Bookstabern1

Bookstabern1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2018

Did you find out yet if you passed? Yeah, I'm not sure my gut is always trusting!

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 6, 2018

Hugs, Bookstabern1. That's not a fun place to be, and you have my sympathies.

You might do well to work on your reasoning skills, or to be precise taking full advantage of your skills in noticing and comparing differences. If answers B and C are stupid and answers A and D are nearly identical, depend upon it that the difference between A and D is crucial: the question stem (the heap of information that precedes "Which of the following...?") will support A's version but not D's, or vice versa.

Working through LearningExpress's book Reasoning Skills Success in 20 Minutes a Day could be helpful.

7. Bookstabern1

Bookstabern1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2018

8. Bookstabern1

Bookstabern1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2018

Thank you so much for your tip. I have been using a practice book called, SLLA CRASH COURSE and though the MC is far easier than that of the ETS brand, their MC section seems to help in training to do this exact thing. I am trying to pay very close attention to wording. What is tough is if it is not my first choice it is always my second. I notice that most I get wrong are the "put these answers in order by priority" I have two full days left.

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 6, 2018

I did!! 183

futuremathsprof likes this.
  10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Aug 6, 2018

Yay, haha! Such wonderful news. Congratulations!

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 6, 2018

So by "put these answers in order by priority," do you mean questions that give a scenario that presents, say, a problem situation that arises at a school, and each answer choice is a list of strategies that a school leader might apply to deal with a specific situation? Something like that?

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 6, 2018

That's a fine score, agdamity! Well done!

13. Bookstabern1

Bookstabern1 Rookie

Aug 9, 2018

I just took my SLLA- I am not sure how I did. I want to remain confident because I feel I may have done well. The MC, in my opinion, was rather difficult and far from the practice tests I had taken as preparation. I feel like I did very well on the CR. If I did not do so well on MC but I did well on CR will it help me out?

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 9, 2018

Should, yes: as long as you collect enough scaled points to hit the passing score, neither you nor Praxis care whether the points are evenly distributed across multiple choice vs. constructed response vs. whether you do better with one question type than with the other.

15. Bookstabern1

Bookstabern1 Rookie

Aug 10, 2018

Do you know what they mean when they say raw score?

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 10, 2018

For a test that combines selected-response and constructed-response questions, you get two raw scores.

First, SLLA has 100 selected-response questions all of which are standard four-option questions, so the highest possible raw score for that part is 100 minus whichever questions aren't being counted because they're being field-tested for inclusion in future versions of the test.

Second, SLLA features seven constructed responses, each of which is scored by two scorers on a scale from 0 to 3. If this were a Pearson test, I would expect the maximum raw score to be the sum of the scores given by each scorer for each question. Praxis does things differently: Praxis computes the mean (average) of the two scores given for each constructed response, then adds together the means to yield your total constructed-response raw score. (For instance, suppose for four questions Smedley is awarded scores of 2 and 3 and for three questions the scorers give 3 and 3. Smedley's raw score would be 2.5 + 2.5 + 2.5 + 2.5 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 19.)

These raw scores can't simply be added together sensibly, because multiple choice points count for 70% of the test and constructed response points for the remaining 30%, so obviously each multiple choice point makes a smaller contribution to the overall score than does each constructed-response point. The scaling process takes both the weighting and the relative difficulty of the questions into account.

17. Bookstabern1

Bookstabern1 Rookie

Aug 10, 2018

Thank you for the thorough answer. That makes more sense now. I couldn't figure out what they meant by that!

18. whizkid

whizkid Comrade

Aug 11, 2018

19. Bookstabern1

Bookstabern1 Rookie

Aug 11, 2018

Does the change in passing score mean that the questions will increase in difficulty, or are they lowering expectations because a higher rate of people are not passing with the current score? I found MC difficult. The study guides may have prepared me to make connections. I am awaiting my scores, but I will admit, nervous.

20. whizkid

whizkid Comrade

Aug 11, 2018

I'm not sure about increase in difficulty, but the new test code will come with 20 more MC questions and 3 fewer CR, but so far, only MS is changing.