Silly question...courses after receiving a Masters...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissNikki, Sep 14, 2013.

1. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Sep 14, 2013

I'm a little confused about how to select/apply for courses. I already have a Masters, but want to increase my level on the salary guide and can do so with a few more credits. Do I just pick ones from a graduate course listing? I'm so lost. lol

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2013

You might want to talk to the powers that be in your district. In many districts you can't just take whatever classes you want. They have to be preapproved.

Yes, though, you're looking for graduate-level courses. In my district at least, once you have a masters degrees, all the undergraduate courses in the world won't move you up the pay scale.

4. kab164

kab164 Companion

Sep 14, 2013

At my school a master's plus pay level requires 18 credits after a master's is completed

5. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Sep 14, 2013

I realize that they have to be pre-approved. I'm just trying to figure out where to select courses from.

6. comaba

comaba Cohort

Sep 14, 2013

Some districts in my area are requiring that additional coursework must lead to additional certification or endorsement in order to qualify for lane movement.

Even if yours doesn't, I don't think it's ever a bad idea to add an endorsement; for example, ESL, SPED, Reading, Middle School.

7. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2013

In my district, it's every 10 credits, you move up to the next level on the scale. Which is weird because courses are usually 3 credits a piece, so one would have to take 4 classes before even applying for the step increase.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2013

I decided I wasn't interested in any of the programs that would give me my Rank I (which is beyond the master's Rank II in my state) as I already had variety in my certifications and nothing else truly pulled at me such as the ever population administration route which everyone and their brother is getting around here. So I did what is called a Planned 5th Year (even though for me it was after my master's program) and was able to pick and choose what classes I wanted to take. It was awesome! I took several reading classes, but also threw in a couple special education courses, one or two administration courses good for communication and such, and so on. Loved it.

ETA: It was thirty hours. After fifteen I got a small increase and then Rank I status with the completion of the planned program.

9. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Sep 21, 2013

Are you taking the classes solely for the pay raise?

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2013

I doubt many do it SOLELY for a salary increase, but it was a huge motivating factor for me.

11. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Sep 21, 2013

Interesting. On merit pay threads, I've been told by virtually everyone on this board that "money isn't a motivating factor for teachers" as a justification for not having merit pay.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2013

Merit pay is different and you surely know that. That money is based on factors sometimes out of teachers' control and so forth...

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2013

I took many of my post grad (+60) thru RTC in NJ. The standards for 'what counts' have changed so make sure any course you take is offered thru an approved college or university Your colleagues or PD committee members may be able to suggest some courses. Make. Sure you follow your district guidelines for preapproval,submitting credits and remuneration policies if applicable.

14. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Sep 21, 2013

Every form of pay is based on factors that are occasionally out of one's control. If I can't afford to front the money for graduate courses but another teacher has a higher family income and can afford it, they take classes and I don't. That's out of my control; I may either be unmarried or married to someone who doesn't make enough to help support my graduate education.

Since a master's degree hasn't been shown to increase teacher efficacy, I don't know why we pay more for teachers who have an advanced degree anyway.

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2013

I'm not interested in debating it.

16. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Sep 21, 2013

There's not a rational way to differentiate between the two situations anyway, so that's probably a smart move.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2013

You're so adorable.

18. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Sep 21, 2013

At least I don't make claims I can't back up, then state that I "don't want to debate it."

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2013

I didn't make a claim; I stated a fact. They're different. To be clear, I don't debate isues with you ever because I find your manner to be dreadfully obnoxious. I won't comment again on this (facet of the thread). Good day. :)

20. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Sep 21, 2013

Claiming an opinion is a fact doesn't make it so; to be clear, you don't debate "isues" because you don't understand basic tenets of discussions. For instance, one should be prepared to back up any claim that they make with logic and/or research. I understand now why you're leaving the thread.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2013

I agree. I chose to not do this because I already had three certification areas so I felt I had enough diversity if I wanted to change directions, but I encourage curious people to have more than one certification. For example, if your undergraduate work was in middle grades education and your master's is as well, a reading or other endorsement would be a great idea!