Side job and business ideas to start while teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jageh, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Jageh

Jageh New Member

Dec 3, 2017

Greetings to all,
    I am Jag Ehmore. I work as a full time teacher in a nearby middle school but my earnings fall short when it comes to taking care of my family's spending budget. Please advise me in the case of doing a side job or owning a side business. Kindly provide some side business ideas or job ideas which i would comfortably manage while going to school for teaching.
    Thanks

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 3, 2017

Tutoring

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Habitué

Dec 3, 2017

That's a great name!!!
    Look no further than tutoring!!!

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Groupie

Dec 4, 2017

What the other two respondents before me said. As a tutor you can make bank. Case in point, I charge $60/hr (just raised my rates from $50/hr) and will make more than half my teaching salary this year alone (55k). I will be getting $840 tomorrow. The best part is that I get paid in between paychecks (I get paid twice a month) and so I make money throughout the month! ;)

Backroads likes this.
  6. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Dec 4, 2017

I noticed that no one asked you what you teach, which is relevant. If you teach art or PE, you are kind of out of luck. SS will also not get as many hits, but ELA, Math, and Science will keep you busy. If you teach a foreign language, that can work too.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Groupie

Dec 4, 2017

This is actually a very good point and something that I neglected to consider. Good thinking!

8. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Devotee

Dec 4, 2017

During the summers, my spouse and I write and photograph travel articles for magazines. It doesn't pay much, but the perks are amazing: upgrades to first class airline seats, free lodging and meals in posh hotels, free gear to mention in the article, free use of a new motorcycle or other transportation if the article is for a transportation magazine. If you enjoy traveling, this is a fun summer job.

9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Groupie

Dec 4, 2017

Whoa, this sounds awesome! How did you get into something like this? I’m jealous!

:cool: <— You and you’re spouse in first class. :D

10. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Devotee

Dec 4, 2017

Basically, I pitch a story idea to an editor, get an approval from him or her, then get a letter of introduction from the embassy of the country we're going to (using that editorial approval). Then I use that letter to arrange the other perks. Sounds easy but it takes months to get all this accomplished.

11. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Groupie

Dec 4, 2017

This is very impressive! I wish I could travel more. You’ve convinced me to travel during my summer breaks, haha! I’m missing out.

12. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 4, 2017

I started a crafting business on the side. It helps me unwind, and I love selling online and at shows. I hated tutoring. I already teach all day; I didn't want to do it outside of school too.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  13. Jageh

Jageh New Member

Dec 19, 2017

Thank you all guys. I really appreciate your suggestions but i like dgpiaffeteah's idea of selling online as well as private tutoring...

dgpiaffeteach likes this.
  14. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Groupie

Dec 19, 2017

For you, I think you should start by charging like $30/hr, which is very reasonable. I say this because the best way to get in the tutoring game is to see what other tutors charge in your area and then ask for slightly under that, so parents will hire you over them. Then, once you establish your tutoring base (I have about 10-15 regular clients in any given month) start raising your rates slowly — give the parents advanced warning — because you don’t want to price yourself out of the market! That would be counterintuitive.

Also, before I forget, make sure that you make business cards. Seriously. I am asked by parents all the time for my business card and I never get around to ordering some due to laziness. This probably causes me to lose out on some business, too...

Good luck making extra money. Side hustle as much as you can and you will be well on your way to financial freedom. :)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  15. XWordHobbyist

XWordHobbyist Rookie

Dec 19, 2017

Tutoring is an excellent idea! Just to add onto that, you could also make workbooks or worksheets to sell on Teachers pay Teachers, or on your own site. It won't bring in as much income immediately, but having a passive source of income like that can be helpful during the school year.

16. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 19, 2017

I make $500/week under the table as a tutor. Great way to make extra money without a huge time commitment.

17. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Habitué

Dec 19, 2017

In my department, we all agree to charge the same rate so we don't undercut each other. Solidarity. They pay the same no matter what district teacher they hire.

The one thing though is I never raise the rates on existing clients. For instance, I have a girl I have been tutoring since she was in algebra 1 (she is now in pre-calc). When I took her on as a client, I charged $80. It's too awkward to say "now I want $90" so I only apply new rates to new clients.

18. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Groupie

Dec 19, 2017

At my school, you are free to charge whatever rate you want. Some teachers charge more than me, but I get more clients then them, so I make more! I tell my clients things like, “due to the rise of inflation and since I have to drive to meet you, my rates will be going up by $5/hr or $10/hr.” In fact, I’ve actually been told by numerous parents that they were wondering when I would ask for more because I charge so LITTLE. This, among other factors, are what made me increase my hourly rate.

19. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Habitué

Dec 19, 2017

Oh we could charge whatever if we wanted, but we're smart enough to ensure we all get well paid ;) I can tell you my district has no shortage of clients. In fact, there are many students we all have to turn down for tutoring because none of us want to take on any more. Some of the parents seem to just hire tutors just because other parents are hiring tutors. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to tutor a kid who knew exactly what they were doing, and did not need me at all except for a quick confidence boost

20. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Groupie

Dec 19, 2017

Awesome! I’m glad your business is booming. An easy job is still a job. ;)

21. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 19, 2017

You can also try developing curriculum to sell to TeachersPayTeachers. You can sell really well done curriculum for over a hundred dollars in some cases. I was thinking about doing this to make some money. Alas, time is still an issue.

XWordHobbyist and Jageh like this.