Side job and business ideas to start while teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jageh, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Jageh

Jageh New Member

Dec 3, 2017

Greetings to all,
    I am Jag Ehmore. I work as a full time teacher in a nearby middle school but my earnings fall short when it comes to taking care of my family's spending budget. Please advise me in the case of doing a side job or owning a side business. Kindly provide some side business ideas or job ideas which i would comfortably manage while going to school for teaching.
    Thanks

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2017

Tutoring

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Comrade

Dec 3, 2017

That's a great name!!!
    Look no further than tutoring!!!

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Comrade

Dec 4, 2017

What the other two respondents before me said. As a tutor you can make bank. Case in point, I charge $60/hr (just raised my rates from $50/hr) and will make more than half my teaching salary this year alone (55k). I will be getting $840 tomorrow. The best part is that I get paid in between paychecks (I get paid twice a month) and so I make money throughout the month! ;)

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Dec 4, 2017

I noticed that no one asked you what you teach, which is relevant. If you teach art or PE, you are kind of out of luck. SS will also not get as many hits, but ELA, Math, and Science will keep you busy. If you teach a foreign language, that can work too.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Comrade

Dec 4, 2017

This is actually a very good point and something that I neglected to consider. Good thinking!

8. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Devotee

Dec 4, 2017

During the summers, my spouse and I write and photograph travel articles for magazines. It doesn't pay much, but the perks are amazing: upgrades to first class airline seats, free lodging and meals in posh hotels, free gear to mention in the article, free use of a new motorcycle or other transportation if the article is for a transportation magazine. If you enjoy traveling, this is a fun summer job.

9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Comrade

Dec 4, 2017

Whoa, this sounds awesome! How did you get into something like this? I’m jealous!

:cool: <— You and you’re spouse in first class. :D

10. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Devotee

Dec 4, 2017

Basically, I pitch a story idea to an editor, get an approval from him or her, then get a letter of introduction from the embassy of the country we're going to (using that editorial approval). Then I use that letter to arrange the other perks. Sounds easy but it takes months to get all this accomplished.

11. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Comrade

Dec 4, 2017

This is very impressive! I wish I could travel more. You’ve convinced me to travel during my summer breaks, haha! I’m missing out.

12. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 4, 2017

I started a crafting business on the side. It helps me unwind, and I love selling online and at shows. I hated tutoring. I already teach all day; I didn't want to do it outside of school too.