Sick and Tired of Job Searching!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by chebrutta, Dec 27, 2008.

1. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2008

Warning: Massive Vent Coming On.

Is anyone else as TIRED of job searching as me? I got hired as a sub in October... only to find I wouldn't START until February. Every week in my district there are new jobs posted... but they are on a hiring freeze, so there's no point in even applying. Jobs I applied to back in JUNE are still listed.

Since I'm bored, I'm taking the last few classes I need for a permanent certification... but taking them just makes me itch to be back in the classroom and try out some new things.

AND I CAN'T FIND A JOB.

I've revamped my resume, a la Adam Waxler. Made a shiny new cover letter. DREADING having to go back - yet AGAIN - for references when I start my new round of applications. Because most districts will NOT take a letter of rec in place of a formal, official reference sheet. And my old bosses are all "Shouldn't have left, huh?"

Or you sucked me dry with your FIVE preps in high school. Or something.

Now my greatest worry is that when I am "permanently" certified and I apply to different states... they'll be in the same boat financially, or I'll get passed over because I'm not currently local. And I really can't afford to move somewhere unless I have a secured job. Or what if I get laid off in the beginning of the year after moving?

And I am sick. and. tired. of. researching. new. districts. and. schools. just. so. i. can. apply. for. an. interview. then. never. gettting. a. call.

Would like to go hide under the covers until someone pops over and throws 15 jobs in my lap, because this IS STRESSFUL.

Anyone else?

3. newbee

newbee Rookie

Dec 27, 2008

Hi Chebrutta, I totally understand your frustration as I am in the same boat. Every application I sent, I got no response. Its been a very frustrating 2008 and I hope and Pray the new year is a good year.
    I am a career changer and got a job as a support teacher and got laid off because, I showed interest in creating web pages for the school. Anyway, old is old and don't want to think of it, but when it comes to recommendation, I don't know where to go as all my recommendations are 6 months old and if i don't get hired soon, all these woud be considered invalid.
    I sometimes feel like going into a hole and hiding in it. i lost hope and faith on myself that I could still get a job.
    My husband who also got laid off recently, is telling me that I better get a job soon, as his chances are also very slim. We are so worried about the health insurance coverage for our kids. Its been days since we had a peacefu sleep at night.
    At times I feel like everyone is against me and feel so low of myself.
    I hope i get out of this feeling soon and get a job. It is driving me nuts and hopeless.

So I totally understand your feeling. But I think once the christmas break is over, things might turn better. Keeping a positive mind is the only way to survive other wise I feel i will go into depression-which is not good having a 11 yr old and a one yr old to take care

So lets try to keep our chin high and hope for the best

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2008

I understand your frustration!

5. bet3

bet3 Companion

Dec 27, 2008

I know exactly how you feel. I was reading a "job seeker" thread on another teacher forum last night and it was the same old story: hiring freezes, budget cuts, politics within the school systems, systems hiring inexperienced teachers that would cost the district less, etc. None of this bodes well for me finding a job. I did get a little encouragement from one poster; she couldn't find a job, so she started her own school! I don't want to do that myself, but it did give me hope that I could do something with this degree.

6. 'Lizbeth

'Lizbeth Rookie

Dec 27, 2008

I am with you 100% I try to take a break from the seemingly endless job search but after a few hours, I start to feel anxious and check to see if anything new has opened up...yeah in a few hours. I AM SO FRUSTRATED. Good luck. Hopefully 2009 will bring only good things.

7. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Dec 28, 2008

Well, I just started. I honestly thought that I would graduate and districts would be begging for applicants. Not the cases at all. Hopefully I will have a job this coming year. I really really want to work!!

8. Blaster

Blaster Rookie

Dec 28, 2008

I know how you feel after a 9 month search I got my teaching job last February. In NC you can add-on once you have a teaching certificate. Mine was in Marketing Education and I added Family and Consumer Science. You can added-on all you have to do is take and pass the Praxis in most areas. I must have gone on 6 interviews or more. God had a plan and it worked out. Just don't give up.

Good Luck to all. Teaching is the best.

Blaster

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2008

I have been working full time for 4 years now and almost every year I have to look (one summer I didn't, already had a job for the following year). Otherwise, I've been looking for three years. Yes, it does get tiring. Heck, I'm on a temp contract this year, so I will automatically be pink slip come March. It bites getting that pink slip every year. But, it's very hard to get a permanent job. With budget cuts and all... well, you know the story. It's too bad universities and teacher prep schools are saying the quite opposite, that there is a teacher shortage! Sigh....

Well, I started work on a second degree. I decided that I need to make myself more marketable. You gotta do what you gotta do...

10. boogaboo214

boogaboo214 Companion

Dec 28, 2008

Im not to that point yet but I'm praying that I can find a job easily my district has 12 elementary school and I know some of the board members and the director of schools so I am hopping my connections will give me a leg up. but I just wanted to tell you to hang in there the right job will come and you will be happy you had to wait to find it. i know it is frustrating but I truly believe that god's plans are perfect.

11. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Dec 29, 2008

Hey Buddy,
    I've been thinking of you. I am starting to take classes also(FAU)-PM me or call.
    Beth

12. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Dec 29, 2008

I got my non-renew notice in April and have been looking ever since. I get up and look but I'm done calling/visiting schools. I really didn't get much out of it except for annoyed admins.

13. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Dec 29, 2008

Chebrutta- Thanks for your honesty. Believe me, I know how you feel. So many of us on this website do. I too have gone through the myriad of emotions. Feeling hopeful, then down to despair, wondering when I'll ever get a full time teaching job. It's really, really tough out there for teachers right now. In the meantime, I am continually calling up the temp agencies I'm signed up with, hoping for even an office job. It's hard to know what to say in times like this, except that you must never give up. Keep going. A new year is upon us. Yes, that doesn't necessarily mean "magical" things will happen with school budgets, in fact, I hear they could even be cut more. Still....when I hear this, I try my hardest to not let it get me down. I know, that I just have to keep moving forward. I'm going back to school to get my Special Ed Credential, to add onto my current Multiple Subjects Credential. I'm trying, like so many others, to make myself more marketable. Still, I realize this is no guarantee for the Fall of '09. Just keep your chin up. Surround yourself with positive people. Do things that keep you mentally sharp. Whatever it takes. Just know, myself, and so many others are feeling what you are feeling.

14. Lakenjade

Lakenjade Rookie

Dec 29, 2008

I too have been looking for about a month and have come to the conclusion that I might not find anything until next year. I have started to send out resumes for jobs that will use my business degree.

I wasn't counting on the depression when I finally finished the requirements for my alternative certification.

Needless to say I feel your pain too!

15. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2008

Thank for all the kind words, guys! Somedays it just seems like I CANNOT POSSIBLY even look at another website or read anything related to teaching because what is the point? I won't get hired! They won't even look at my resume! They are advertising jobs they have no intention of filling!

It's so different from when I started 4 years ago... and they were BEGGING you to take a job at their school!!!

But I swear, if one more person tells me "it's so easy to be a teacher - districts are PLEADING for them!" I will punch them in the nose.

16. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Dec 31, 2008

LOL. I hear you!

Hang in there Chebrutta, and try and have a Happy New Year! :party: