Showerboard/ Whiteboard Class Set

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by intern09, Jul 15, 2009.

1. intern09

intern09 Rookie

Jul 15, 2009

I have heard that you can get showerboard cut into smaller pieces for a class set at Home Depot/ Lowes for cheap class white boards. At the store what they called showerboard doesn't seem like you could write on it with an expo marker. It was gray and looked like concrete. I am not sure if the employee showed me the wrong thing, but does anyone know if shower board might be called a different name?

3. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 15, 2009

It sounds like the employee showed you the wrong material. You may want to bring in a real whiteboard and ask them to show you the showerboard that resembles that material.

4. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 15, 2009

Like paneling?

I just happened to be at Sutherlands (like Lowes) the other day and I looked for it. I had to walk up and down the paneling aisle. I found some divided into squares but I am sure there is a plain one.

The one with the squares was $28 for a 4 x 8 sheet.

5. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2009

My husband (the construction guru) couldn't find it on the website. If you go and look, they do have it. I bought some last year and my husband cut it down to size for me.

6. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 16, 2009

I found the 4x8 size at Lowe's-I asked an employee and he led me right to it. I actually liquid nailed it to the blackboard (got in trouble for it too, but worth it) and they worked great.

7. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Jul 16, 2009

I asked for tile board and they showed me the right thing??? Good luck!

8. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Jul 16, 2009

The material the OP was shown sounds like the material we put in behind where our shower went! I can't think of what it's called, but I know exactly what you're talking about.

To find the "showerboard" go to the part of the store that sells the material you could line a shower with. (If you were installing the walls around a bathtub, this is the material you could use if you weren't using tile!) They'll have several types/colors some with designs and some that are smooth. I believe the smooth, white showerboard material at our Lowe's cost somewhere around $15.00.

It works great!

9. JoviHawk

JoviHawk Rookie

Jul 16, 2009

I got mine at Home Depot. They even cut it for me for free. I got about 30 12" X 12" boards for around 10 bucks. It was a few years ago and I need new ones. Next time I won't get them so big.

10. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 16, 2009

Sorry :hijack: I've had my boards for 4 years now. I'm noticing that the marker doesn't erase the same like it did when the kids first started using them. I've heard that you can use Turtle Wax to give the boards a better seal. I'm curious if anyone has tried this.

11. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jul 16, 2009

shower board

Always say "OH I didn't know.":wub:

12. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jul 16, 2009

Our warehouse for district can cut them for us, and in fact they put it on over our chalkboards for us. This isn't the good quality stuff, but it lasts several years. Best not to leave any Expo on over night.

13. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Jul 16, 2009

You've had yours longer than I've had mine, but I have used Turtle Wax on mine. All but two of mine still look brand new! I think it works great, but I've had them for two years now.

14. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 16, 2009

I tried-I am a terrible liar-and the P. knew it! SO, I went to plan B and said-other people have done it too! Yikes! When did I become 4 years old again??? :eek: She replied-I know! and I felt even dumber. Needless to say, I try to follow the rules closer now....:whistle:

15. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 16, 2009

Yup, its easier to apologize after than to ask for permission before. hahahahahahahahaha.

16. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jul 16, 2009

saying we didn't know

Haven't we all been there! :dizzy:

17. PenguinPie

PenguinPie Rookie

Jul 16, 2009

Earlier this week, I went to Home Depot to make my dry erase boards. At first, I asked someone for showerboard and they also showed me the grey material. Then, I clarified what I was looking for and I got 32 12" by 12" boards cut for 13 bucks. They cut them for free too. :)

18. Mrs. Mac

Mrs. Mac Rookie

Jul 16, 2009

Did you wax them before you used them? Have you had to do it since?

19. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Jul 17, 2009

I waxed mine before I used them the first time - and rewaxed them last summer. I plan to rewax them before school starts again! I don't know if it's necessary or not, but I figure I'm not going to mess with what works!

20. Mrs. Mac

Mrs. Mac Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

I am going to get mine tomorrow! Thanks for the advice. I agree with you... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" :)