Should marjiuna be legalized and taxed?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kinderkids, Apr 8, 2010.

1. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Dec 21, 2012

Things that make me go hmmmmmmmm...

Ban tobacco cigarettes because it is harmful to the respiratory system and contains carcinogens..

Legalize marijuana cigarettes which is harmful to the respiratory system, contains carcinogens and affects thinking and reasoning skills.

2. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2012

I know MANY smart people too! In fact as I recall some of the smartest (i.e."intelligent") people I know, I can't think of a one who is a "total pothead".

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2012

I think the history behind why and how marijuana became illegal in this country is interesting. Look it up if you haven't already done so.

I am in favor of lifting the restrictions on recreational marijuana use. I think that it could be regulated fairly easily in the same way that alcohol is regulated, and that includes taxes. I would like to see law enforcement and the court system focus on more serious issues.

I will add that I've never smoked pot. Or cigarettes.

4. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2012

Of course. It would save billions in our penal and court systems.
    Stupidest law ever. I just realized this was an old one that I had actually replied to earlier. Probably makes me look like a pot head.
    Not. But way back in the early seventies..................
    The deal is there are folks that have a proclivity toward addiction. Food, booze shopping etc. As addictions go mj is not the worst. Booze is much worse.

5. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Dec 21, 2012

I'm not sure what your point is. Obviously the control group is going to contain intelligent people. There are also people who aren't potheads who are total imbeciles.

So yeah, not sure of your point...

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2012

:lol:
    Not sure of your point, either. That WAS the point of my post! :rolleyes: So why is my NOT knowing potheads being the most intelligent people I know, any less relevant than your post in that the potheads were the smartest people you know ?:confused:

So yeah, not sure of your point, either...

Edited to add: Yeah, there also people who are potheads who are "total imbeciles", too. Soooooooo????????

7. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Dec 21, 2012

No... no, no...

My point is that pot doesn't adversely affect intelligence.

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2012

Thank you for explaining your post, Mike. I wasn't sure what it meant, as it left a tone that I didn't like. I may be slow to understand other views, but I'm not blind. When you say things comparing a control group as to what I think...well, that is just unfair. I wanted to turn it around to you. It goes both ways, Mike. You have to understand that.

I really want to know the reason in favor for this. I think of myself as a Conservative Libertarian on social situations like this: what goes on in your home, stays in your home. See, I am open minded, but I do need clarification and something more than a post that says "look it up". Please cite scientific references when you refer to them so I can make an educated decision on this. I just wish those who quote such references would cite them. If I look it up, I will just end up with something that won't explain what they cite.

I know I don't agree with probably 80% (hahaha,that is being liberal, just a guess..not a poll :p) of people on here about my views, but I DO pride myself in being open minded and willing to listen to opposed views and consider them fairly. I am not so proud as to NOT to consider an opposing point of view. In fact, I welcome them.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2012

Have they banned the sale of cigarettes (like pot) in some states? I know there are restrictions as to where you can smoke, but I'm not aware that cigarettes have been banned.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2012

I guess I just don't understand how someone who feels comfortable with alcohol being legal at the same time feels pot shouldn't be.

Could someone explain?

11. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Dec 22, 2012

Ignorant, uninformed... it's the same thing.
    First off, you say that "outside of medicinal uses", you haven't seen anything positive from marijuana. Well... if it JUST had those medicianl uses, wouldn't that be enough? Do you think Big Pharm wants to see its pills for nausea, depression, treatment for chemo, glaucoma, cancer... potentially replaced by one plant? Ask yourself what campaigns are waged against weed and on us (the average citizen) every day, by interests that wouldn't want to see it legalized. Do you think alcohol companies want to see a plant that works in direct competition with itself, to be legal? As an enlightened consumer and individual, you have to realize this and take it in consideration.

Google: hemp. Learn about this amazing plant and its uses in industry. Food, textiles, it's fibrous nature (e.g. rope). Read about its LONG history of use in early America and the world, pre-20th century. And keeping in mind the business interests as mentioned above, what interests played a major role in its criminalization in the 20th century. The fact that this plant without its psychoactive qualities isn't legal is ridiculous.

Now my third point, which may be the most profound, is in terms of our freedom over our own existence as human beings. That is, our FREEDOM over our own bodies. Freedom over your mind/spirit. We are endowed with these amazing brains, which sometimes seem like worlds unto themselves when you really think about it. When you go to sleep every night--basically, you are having a psychedelic trip. Often times, our dreams leave us amazed. It makes you wonder what "doors" and worlds that are available to us in our subconscious. And who should determine our access to those doors? If we can have access to this "universe" inside our own brains, what business is that of a government? Ancient people have used drugs like this in ceremonial rituals (e.g. peyote). There are those that think that psychoactive drugs played a role in us going from monkey to man.

And in the end, marijuana has a pleasure component, just as a glass of wine or a six-pack. It feels good, people enjoy it... what the h-ll business is that of the government, especially considering all the good things already mentioned.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2012

Hemp and marijuana aren't really the same, though, are they?

13. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Dec 22, 2012

Hemp is not psychoactive, if that's what you are saying. But they derive from the same plant. And in the history (that I previously mentioned), marijuana use was cited as the reason to eventually ban hemp in industry.

14. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2012

The fact that this plant without its psychoactive qualities isn't legal is ridiculous.
    ahhh, but we aren't discussing the plant, but the product it produces. Go Hemp!! I already know about the products it produces. In the same frame of mind, I love poppy seeds..but that doesn't mean I advocate for the production of opium.

15. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2012

And by the way, in my world, ignorant and uniformed is NOT the same thing. But I won't argue semantics with you. That discussion is DOA (at least now it is for me).