Should marjiuna be legalized and taxed?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kinderkids, Apr 8, 2010.

1. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2010

A disclaimer before I go on: I do not now nor have I ever smoked pot.

I know a lot of my friends did in high school and college. I keep hearing opposing sides as to why or why it shouldn't be legalized. I'm curious as to what you think. Of course there are probably meaningful arguments on both sides. I am not going to give my pov at this time, but I'm very interested in what other teachers have to say on this topic.
    If it were legal, would you use it? I'm just being curious and bored on my Spring Break. I would add a poll but I don't know how. You would think after being on this forum for five years I'd have that figured out by now.:lol:

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2010

I have never considered smoking anything, and even if it were legal, I would not. That said, I would far rather people smoke weed than drink alcohol. But does that mean I wish it were legalized? I don't know. Some things to consider:

1. What about minors? It would be acceptable to smoke weed in your living room with your children present?

Okay, so only one thing to consider. :)
    I'll post more later after others have shared their opinions.

4. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 8, 2010

Interesting 3663rd post. :p

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2010

That's what being on Spring Break with yucky weather does to a person!!! :p

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2010

...and the taxes could go towards the new health care plan instead of soaking the rest of us...oh no, that's too good an idea...

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2010

If it were legal I would not use it because I'm too chicken to be high! LOL I was surprised to discover that it is legal for medical use in 14 states and 14 others have it pending right now. My state is one that has it pending. They say it's safer than some legal prescription drugs in some cases because there's less chance of addiction or dying from marijuana over-use compared to prescription drug over-use. hmm.....

8. OedipaMaas

OedipaMaas Rookie

Apr 8, 2010

Well, as someone who lives in a place where marijuana is de facto legal anyway, I say yes! Our state needs all the revenue it can get!

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 9, 2010

I also have never smoked anything nor have I wanted to. In fact, the smell of pot triggers migraines for me (found that out from my neighbor in college) so if it was legal, I wouldn't want it in my house.

I think it should be legalized and I absolutely think it should be legalized for medicinal use. It doesn't make sense not to be. Most of the drugs we prescribe today are far worse than marijuana. And I know a LOT of kids who are addicted to them.

10. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 9, 2010

OY... I hope it never is legalized. I don't like to be ANYWHERE near cigarette smoke. Cigars? Oh my GOSH, I choke.

Can you imagine stepping out of a building and instead of having to walk through that cloud of cigarette smoke you have to pass through mj haze? YUCK!!!!

11. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2010

Yes, I do think it should be legal, taxed, and regulated.

JustMe, the answer to your question is simple: if it's not expressly illegal to smoke it with your children present, then the "acceptability" of it depends on the person. Which means you'd definitely have parents doing it, but possibly being ostracized for it.

I agree with you that I think alcohol is more destructive overall than mj.

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Apr 9, 2010

I think it should be legal.

13. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2010

Very interesting viewpoints. TY to those who answered. I am really interested on what people have to say about this.
    Many times people refer to pot as the the 'gateway' drug to more illicit and addicting illegal substances.
    One of the things that concern me are the long term effects of regular marijuana use. I am not sure if there are any studies that show what they are. Of course one could argue the point of the long term adverse effects of alcohol, which is legal.

14. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 9, 2010

I find it interesting how all the people posting on this thread have really colorful artwork as their profile pic.

15. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Apr 9, 2010

I think weed is disgusting. It stinks and makes people act stupid (or at least my old friends from high school, who are now going NO where fast due to alcohol and weed.) Beyond people who need it for medical reasons, it should not be legalized.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2010

Sarge, you're so funny! There are live-action butterflies fluttering in the sky in mine, right? :)

Kinder, I understand your concerns regarding longterm use. Afterall, think for a moment of the "potheads" you knew in school or know of today. They are...out of it. But are they out of if it because of their use of pot, because of other substances they use regularly, because they are "naturally" that way, because they strive to be that way...I'm not sure it's necessarily clear-cut. NIDA cites respiratory, lung, and brain function problems when someone smokes weed long-term, and The Straight Dope, which claims to have been fighting ignorance about the stuff since 1973, offers this.

If it were legalized, there would have to be strict regulations and none of this public smoking garbage. Absolultely no way. I would campaign like never before if that were a possibility. In private homes, I'll live. In the presence of children, not okay.