Should I...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by silverspoon65, Nov 17, 2010.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2010

take off tomorrow?

Ug, BF had to go away for work for 3 days/2 nights. I have never stayed in our house alone. Last night was the first night. I thought I was doing ok and I went to bed around 10, but I woke up around 2am and I just could not sleep. I was a wreck today - a walking zombie.

So now it is 2am on night two. I got out the air mattress and set myself up in the living room, thinking I could doze off watching tv. I am just going to sleep when the satellite goes out and I wake up to some nasty thunderstorms in November which is pretty rare. If the power goes out, I am probably going to have a panic attack.

So now I feel like a zombie. 2 nights with no sleep, and we have are doing a T-day dinner this weekend and I have a paper I need to write for my grad class. A mental health day tomorrow is sounding really great.

And on a side note, does anyone else have a hard time when SO is away? I lived alone for 4 years, but I could stand in my whole apartment and see all around it, so having a townhouse is different.

3. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Nov 17, 2010

Um...given that I am up at this hour, I am probably the wrong person to ask, LOL.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 17, 2010

I say take the day off unless you have recently used sick days and it's too much time off too close together.

I'm personally annoyed that this is the second night in a row that my cough has gotten me up at an annoying hour. Last night it was 3am. Today it was 1:30am. I did just start antibiotics and a super strength cough syrup, so hopefully this is my last night of this. So anyway, I'm debating calling in sick as well.

Oh, and I have a very hard time falling asleep when dh is away, but once asleep I generally sleep just fine.

And I'm currently listening to the massive rain here as well. Not helping me rest at all!

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2010

Well I have no idea what happened but the alarm on my phone didn't go off, even though I checked it and it was set for the right time and it was on. (didn't we just have this thread?). I woke up exactly at the time I need to be out of the house to be on time for work. Ha! So I got dressed, turned the crock pot on, and grabbed my stuff all in about 5 minutes and made it to work just on time. I couldn't have called out anyway - it was too late.

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Nov 17, 2010

I'm alone for about 3 months right now-finishing out the semester before I have to move with my husband. It's hard-I've been trying to make sure I accept a lot more offers to do things on the weekend. I also have been staying up late and then still having trouble falling asleep. I just have a mattress on the floor though (our stuff has been shipped already), so that could be some of the reason why!

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2010

I have been alone in the house with my daughter since the end of August. Honestly I sleep with a dog in my bed and the closet light on and the door open.....yep! I'm a scaredy cat!

8. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Nov 17, 2010

My husband was gone all the time when we first got married -- he was in the Army -- so I got a good dog. :) Now, he's only gone when he goes hunting or something like that, but I still have my good dog. ;0) I know he'll bark if he hears anything that might be dangerous, and he sleeps in the same room with me every night, so I sleep soundly -- and enjoy the extra space! when my husband's gone. ;)

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2010

He is on his way back! Yay!

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 17, 2010

Dh was in NC last night and is gone on business trips often. I hate it-he can't talk because he's always in meetings or with clients, so even the phone is not an option. Last night I slept on the couch and let Bunny hop around all night in the living room just so it wasn't lonely. He's always in his cage at night so I'm sure he was in heaven.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 17, 2010

I wouldn't take a day off . . . but I won't take any days off unless I'm on death's door.

DH is gone a lot. He's a day or two a week, but sometimes I go for two weeks without seeing him. We do talk on the phone every night. I'm not afraid of staying by myself. Our house is 1600 square feet on 1.5 acres. I can see four houses from my house, and I could call or go to their houses if I needed something.

I've got a wicked independent streak. DH says that I could at least act like it bothers me that he's gone. :lol:

12. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Nov 17, 2010

My DH is gone every other week. I hate it. The first day is kinda fun, but then I go back to hating it. I hate cooking for one. I don't sleep as well. Like Jem, my DH isn't available to talk often, or spends a lot of time driving with other people, therefore lacking privacy. I'm up late a lot when he's gone. I often fall asleep reading magazines...

13. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Nov 17, 2010

My DH is gone every other night due to his job. I'm rarely bothered by it, if ever, and I can't imagine calling in sick due to the fact that I was home alone but then....I've had lots of time to adapt to that lifestyle so I could see where it would be bothersome to others.

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2010

Well it was really more about calling in sick because I didn't sleep for 2 days and I felt like a drunk person driving to work...

Well he is home now! Yay! So I slept well last night. He has to do this every 6 months, so I think I can handle that. I am sure I will get used to it as time goes on. The funny thing is, we said our hellos and hugged, ate dinner, and then I sat over here with computer and he watched TV. lol. But just being the same room is enough.

15. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Nov 18, 2010

Glad he is home!

16. gigi

gigi Groupie

Nov 18, 2010

And yah for a good night's sleep! My DH works 2 or 3 nights a week, won't see him now until Friday! and it does take some getting used to.