Should I say something?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by RussianBlueMommy, Feb 24, 2017.

1. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Feb 24, 2017

So being a full time building sub, Ive been working in Sped a lot. There is this one aide, a guy baseball coach. On two occasions I've witnessed him making a girl sad. She is in wheelchair and has a myriad of issues including muscular dystrophy, downs and autism. She's barely verbal.

Today I was feeding her lunch it had to be chopped etc. this aide said "im glad it's you and not me. I don't ant to touch or be around her. She stinks" Immedietely this girl f
    Went from happy and eating to putting her head down really sad and tears. I took him aside and said "I think you hurt her feelings that was mean" . He started to talk directly to her and said "well it's true! She stinks and I need to spray her with my cologne daily.
    The other aide said he's just mean to her and a few others but since he's an"good coach", they won't do anything when she complains. I wonder if I should let the principal know my concerns?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2017

If it's true that he said that, those comments are disgusting and despicable. If you don't stand up for this student, who will? If it were your child that he was talking about, would you just let it slide because he's a good coach?

Admin may or may not do anything about it once you tell them, but that's their moral obligation. Yours is to speak up on behalf of someone who can't. Integrity matters. Have some.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 24, 2017

I would say something. Me, being me, I would have defended this girl in front of her, letting this so called coach know what he did was wrong, and not in private. This way the girl knows that at least 1 person stuck up for her.

5. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Feb 24, 2017

I spoke to admin they said "it's being dealt with" . Sigh poor girl. I told her what he did was mean and wrong and that she was a lovely girl etc. she seemed OK

Obadiah likes this.
  6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2017

I'm glad you said something to admin. Next time say something to the douche canoe, too.

7. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Feb 24, 2017

It's such an overall sad situation. But it is making me rethink taking the aide job- They need me and want me in there!!

8. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Mar 1, 2017

I wouldn't just tell the principal. I'd tell her parents and the school board. The guy needs to be fired.

If that doesn't work, video him and post it anonymously on YouTube.

9. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Mar 1, 2017

This is a bit much and rather unprofessional

BioAngel and otterpop like this.
  10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2017

For me, it would result in a formal reprimand, at the very least.

11. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Mar 1, 2017

Probably, but it was also unprofessional of the coach to be talking to a student that way.

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 1, 2017

I'm suddenly wondering if the student has and can physically work a smartphone, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2017

I agree, and I would be following the protocol for informing the coach and an administrator of my concerns. It's the video-taping that would get me in trouble.

Backroads likes this.
  14. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Mar 1, 2017

I never implied that it was not. But his wrong action do not justify others from stooping down from what it right. Making a video of an event like OP descibed public would bring unwanted attention to the child and overshadow a school full of other (hopefully better) teachers with the actions of one idiot.

Backroads likes this.
  15. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Mar 1, 2017

And you're all right. But it is awfully tempting, in its way.

16. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Mar 1, 2017

If it was my kid, my response would be more forceful.

No, it's not too much. I'm very supportive of teachers, but not monsters. This guy is a monster who does not belong around children.

webmistress likes this.
  17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2017

One of the unwritten rules in my district is keep the school out of the news. Seriously, it would be a bad idea to secretly record a teacher for the purpose of releasing it to the media, especially as a first resort. Be professional and assertive, go through the proper channels and chain of command.

18. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Mar 2, 2017

No district would want this in the news. The way to prevent that is to deal with the issue before it does, because, eventually, it will be in the news—whether or not someone records the behavior with a smart phone or just calls the local paper.

19. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 4, 2017

Document everything that you see going on - ON PAPER. I'd even go as far as writing down what you saw going on and giving that paper to the principal so that they have a record and you have a record that you documented the incident. Keep a record in case the parents sue the school for this teacher harassing their daughter. That way you are covered if it ever comes up that you knew this was going on and you have proof that you reported it.

20. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Mar 30, 2017

No way would I film a child and post it on youtube. The situation has been dealt with, he is no longer working in that position. They have him shuffling papers or something. He's tenured so can't be gotten rid of too easily sigh.

21. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Mar 30, 2017

That is just terrible--I cannot believe a teacher would be so disrespectful to a student. It makes me very angry. As a sub, I would 100% let someone know. If the office did not seem to respond, I would talk to the guidance counselor. I'm so glad to hear he is no longer in that position!