Should I or Shouldn't I?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by flateacher, Jun 13, 2017.

1. flateacher

flateacher Rookie

Jun 13, 2017

Scenario: I have a student who did not score well on his ELA state exam. He went from above average to below average. I can't stop thinking about it. The rest of my 50 students did phenomenally overall. I've never seen a drop like this in my 10 years teaching. If I had to speculate--he finished early and probably did not go back into the text to prove his answers. Overconfident most likely. He also fell a level in math (another teacher).

Should I call his mom and break the news/soften the blow or just let her get the letter in the mail like everyone else? She has been a FB poster in the past (though we have had no issues with her this year). Not sure if calling would make things better or worse??

I am just having a hard time getting past this score. How do I let it go?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2017

At this point, there is nothing you can do. I would just let the news be delivered to the parent the same way all the other students will have it delivered.

Your assessment of over confidence and not doing his best is probably accurate. Now, the consequences are the student's, not yours.