Should I leave my MBA off my resume?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by UpperMidwest, Jan 7, 2017.

1. UpperMidwest

UpperMidwest Rookie

Jan 7, 2017

I have a BA and an MBA, and I am doing a career change to be a teacher (most likely a special ed teacher). I have been working as a paraprofessional in special education for 4 months and I want to have a job as a regular licensed teacher. Should I leave my MBA off when applying for teaching jobs in fields like special education? I am concerned that administration will think that I am not committed to education and that I'm just taking the job as a short-term gig until I switch fields.

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 7, 2017

I don't know if it would make a difference in my district. You wouldn't get anymore money for having an MBA since it doesn't directly apply to sped. And our district is so desperate for sped teachers that they would be willing to risk hiring someone that might be short-term.

If it were me I'd leave it off of my resume. But if I had to fill out an application that requested my highest level of education, I'd include it.

UpperMidwest likes this.
  4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jan 8, 2017

No, don't leave it off. It won't pay you any extra $$$ as they are not educational credits. It will show though that you have a master's degree and despite having a degree where you could make more $$$, you are choosing to teach. I have a business degree as well as education, and it was often complimented on during my interviews. It can only be positive to keep it on your resume.

UpperMidwest likes this.
  5. msleep

msleep Rookie

Jan 8, 2017

Almost all school districts have an online application that requires you list your education. If you leave it off of this application you could be fired for lying.

You are not the only one with a masters degree in another subject. There are many, many, who have switched careers from other fields. I highly doubt they will even care about it. What they will care about is the experience and training you have for special education.

readingrules12 and waterfall like this.
  6. UpperMidwest

UpperMidwest Rookie

Jan 8, 2017

If it doesn't say list *all* education, is it lying? If I omit irrelevant work experience (that job I had in retail sales at age 16, or that paper route I had aged 13, for instance) is that also lying?

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 8, 2017

I agree with the others that said it's not a big deal. If anything, it shows a stronger commitment because you could be doing something that's presumably higher paying and you're choosing to teach instead. Just make sure that in interviews you clearly state that you are passionate about working in education and see this as a long term plan. You may want to even (briefly) share why you decided to leave the business world for teaching. I think any time you are making a switch, you want to make it clear that what you're interviewing for is 100% what you want to be doing. This isn't quite the same thing, but similar I think: Last time we were interviewing for a sped opening, it was an elementary mild/moderate job and we were getting a lot of candidates who were coming from secondary or severe needs positions. Since they didn't say anything about why they wanted to switch, we questioned whether they truly wanted elementary or mild/moderate or if they were just interviewing for anything they could. It wasn't the fact that they were switching that made us question it, it was the fact that they said nothing to make us believe our type of position was what they really wanted to do.

Every teaching application I have ever filled out has asked me to list all non-teaching work experience going back ten years. Last time I applied, I was young enough that that meant listing my high school lifeguarding job.

UpperMidwest likes this.