Should I have my sub grade work?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lucybelle, Nov 14, 2014.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 14, 2014

I will be gone for eight teaching days. Should I have my sub grade work? I'm not sure how to hold the kids accountable for almost two weeks of work while I'm away. I normally have them keep everything in their spiral notebooks and I'll check in the mornings to make sure they have work from the day before and then I take up notebooks every two weeks as well.

What I don't want to deal with is eight days worth of unorganized loose leaf paper.

Thoughts?

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 14, 2014

Definitely! That's too much for you to come back to and grade.
    Because your sub is there for almost 2 weeks, they can manage their time to get it done.
    Leave a key with the answer to make it easier though ;)

4. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Nov 14, 2014

Have the sub grade, but leave some kind of guidelines of how you normally grade things (what's acceptable, what isn't, what kind of work are you looking for... etc). I've graded for one teacher before as a sub and I didn't mind it, but I also wasn't sure entirely of her standards (granted, the assignment was graded on completion, but is my idea of partially/mostly complete/incomplete the same as hers? I don't know if she had to change any grades or not).
    But yes, if your sub is going to be there for that long, definitely have them grade for you.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 14, 2014

If you're asking for grading, I would keep the questions easy. No essays. That isn't fair to a sub who doesn't know the quirks of each of your students the way you do. As is, I have to give over the grading of certain essays to other members of my teaching team, and I'm trying to avoid telling them things like, "Dakota has a wonderful way with words, but not with paragraph breaks."

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 15, 2014

I also say yes. But make sure that you are using materials that you've used before a few times. So you know of any answer "quirks."

I made a new quiz this week. As I was grading it I realized that there was an alternate, and just as valid, answer available. A sub would have marked that wrong using my key.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 15, 2014

I agree with this. I think it's fine to ask the sub to grade, but questions should have straightforward answers with an answer key provided. You may have to do things differently than normal to accomplish this, but it's better than the mess you'd likely come back to with more muddy grading criteria.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 15, 2014

Before you have the sub grade, you need to check the policy at your school. It's not allowed at mine. Either the teacher who is missing would grade it, or another teacher in the school.

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 15, 2014

Thanks everyone!

I guess I'll have her grade some of the worksheets I'll leave that have straight answers.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 17, 2014

I was ocd enough that I would have created a chart, listing every assignment I wanted graded, so that the sub would know exactly what needed graded and what did not. I would have attached a note to each assignment (check for completion only, check for accuracy, etc).

This would be a great time for a short project that doesn't require a lot of actual grading, but more checking for progression.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2014

Man, I'm jealous! Subs aren't allowed to grade in my district!

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2014

Check its done? Yes

Check worksheets for correctness using an answer sheet? Probably

Give grades? No.

13. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Nov 17, 2014

I'm thinking that if you are gone for that long, you probably know your sub and I would if that were the case.

14. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Nov 18, 2014

If you do, make sure you leave examples and/or explicit instructions on how you want things done. Grading can be on an very individualized system and it drives me nuts when I'm in the lounge and teachers are complaining that their sub didn't do something exactly the same way they do it. If you don't give instructions on how you want points tallied, what is important versus what you tend to overlook, etc., don't expect someone to read your mind.