Should I Go Into Teaching?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Curious99, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Curious99

Curious99 New Member

Mar 12, 2017

Hello, I have recently begun to look at different programs where I would earn a second degree. I currently hold a bachelor's degree in English and am seriously considering going into elementary education. The profession looks like something I would enjoy doing and I love kids, but I have done some research and I know that teaching isn't what it is perceived to be by the general public.

So, I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some perspective on the profession. Thank you.

John Pan likes this.
  3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2017

This is a really big question.

Why do you think you might enjoy teaching? What about the job is appealing to you? Maybe we can address those particular issues as a way to get started.

4. Backroads

Backroads Connoisseur

Mar 13, 2017

Most of us generally like teaching. Are you reasonably patient, enjoy working with youth, having to various extents your own ability to manage your stuff, and don't mind not working for huge bucks?

5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Mar 13, 2017

I'm going to say the SAME thing to you that I have said to everybody who asked the same question on this forum: SUB TEACH or VOLUNTEER! The only way you'll know is if you DO the job!

6. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Companion

Mar 13, 2017

Probably the best unbiased advice anyone could give you. It seems that you don't know much about the profession, and that's a dangerous position to be in when deciding to turn it into a career.

You really need to research labor conditions in your state. You could be walking into a nightmare. At least have the sense not to do so wearing a blindfold.

I'd tell you no, that teaching is not a profession anyone in the country should consider, but you might live in Iowa, which isn't so bad, from what I understand.

7. Backroads

Backroads Connoisseur

Mar 13, 2017

I remember talking to people in college, where I pursued my degree in Elementary Education. There were people who were in the education program all the way up to practicums, went into classrooms, realized it wasn't for them, and switched majors.

Indeed, check it out via subbing/volunteering.

bella84 and Leaborb192 like this.
  8. renard

renard Companion

Mar 13, 2017

Volunteering is especially important as it is a great way to observe good teachers in action.

9. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Companion

Mar 13, 2017

Right. Think of the tens of thousands of dollars invested into a degree you won't use. Finish school, get hired, and then immediately realize this isn't for you? What a waste!

Sub in your area. Talk to teachers about pay, benefits, and union protections. DO NOT TEACH ANYWHERE THAT DOES NOT OFFER PAY BASED ON SENIORITY AND EDUCATION!

In Indiana, we used to have a graded pay scale, and it kept teachers even with inflation. My state made this illegal in 2011. Our pay and benefits get cut every year. Each year, we make less than we did the year before—and that isn't even considering inflation!

So you can understand why I would not recommend teaching to anyone, ever.

10. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Comrade

Mar 13, 2017

This is something that happens everywhere. Hate to break it to you. It's not an issue that affects only teachers. EVERYONE is seeing pay cuts and healthcare increases. I hear this from everyone I know who works in the private sector.

ITs just that education is so public that you hear more about it in the news than you would private organizations.

11. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Companion

Mar 14, 2017

So it's OK, because it is happening to "everyone?" When the offer is 28K and no benefits, it's reasonable because times are hard?

Politicians don't do this to police. You know why? Because police carry guns, and because they are the only ones who will protect the politicians rolling back labor protections on everyone else.

It's not all right. It's not OK. It's not the new normal.

No one should go into teaching. No one.

12. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Comrade

Mar 14, 2017

No it's not ok I agree. But many teachers think this seems to be unique to public school teachers. Everyone is suffering. It's not any better In the private sector. In fact one could argue it's worse and I think that's why people are so frustrated with teachers striking, unions, protections, etc. because even after cuts benefits are still better than the private sector.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  13. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Comrade

Mar 14, 2017

I think going into teaching, one should do a lot of research on individual districts and their finincial situation and the overall financial health of the state and its attitude towards teachers. Where I'm at, the governor pretty much can't stand teachers and teachers are constantly fighting a battle against this guy, but benefits are still pretty good (although they're constantly increasing $$ wise) and it's still important to look at the politics and financial health of a distinct before accepting a position.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2017

Are you staying in teaching, Amy?
    Those entering the profession should be well aware of the culture and climate under which they will potentially work, but it's also important to know that there ARE great places to work as an educator. One needs to hone their craft, get experience and be willing to 'do the time', but it's not uncommon in my area to make over $100K per year and have benefits, professional development opportunities and community support....

15. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Companion

Mar 14, 2017

Not as a teacher. No way. Maybe in New York with a second full time job.

Spinning the current national war on teachers as some sort of challenge that weans out the less deserving, the less committed is not far removed from the web of lies spread by legislators when justifying cuts to education. Telling people that they just need to be good at their job to make six figures as a teacher benefits whom, exactly?

Please tell us all what states pay teachers six figure salaries.

16. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Comrade

Mar 14, 2017

Illinois (some of the wealthier/ suburban districts top off at 120,000-130,000 BEFORE longevity, although they're super competitive to get into), New Jersey (my district's top of the guide is over 100k if you have a masters). I only have ever worked in these two states, so I don't know about others. It really depends on the district though.

bella84 and czacza like this.
  17. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Mar 15, 2017

I can't understand that AT ALL. And I know it happens ALL the time. Or those people get the jobs and are miserable... I'm seeing it in action at the school I'm subbing in. They keep hiring the buddies/ family members of the admin, but these people are terrible teachers. The kids and other teachers even say so. The Education Department at the colleges needs to do a better job at screening its students beforehand, but I know that they're in the business of just taking $. The more students = more $! I get it, but then you end up with crappy teachers. I remember at one of our student teaching seminars, one guy (a chemistry ed major) talked about how he wants to hit on and flirt with this students (HS girls) and that he really 'doesn't want to teach, but wants to go to grad school for chemistry and needed an easy Master's to get in.' He had no real desire to teach and it showed. And many of my current classmates simply respond with 'I love teaching because I like working with kids,' but can't offer up anything beyond that cliched answer.
    And yet, they fake it during the interviews and get hired. These are also the people who show up to class unprepared and are talking/ texting while the professor is. And yet they still get 4.0s in t he class. I really wish they'd clean up how the education major is run.

It's really annoying!
    :mad:

18. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Companion

Mar 16, 2017

Fantasy has always been one my my own favorite genres, so I can appreciate the posts claiming teachers make six figure salaries.

There may be a couple of elite shore side enclaves of obscene wealth hiring Harvard Ph.D.'s to teach third grade, but the median teacher salary in those states is 66K. To suggest that it is common for teachers in either state to make six figures does a disservice to everyone here, especially young people considering teaching as a career, which I suppose was the intent involved. After all, young people aren't falling into the trap as easily as they did before this nasty little war on public education began.

I would love to hear from teachers in Illinois and New York how much opportunity there is for the three million plus public school teachers in the country to teach for six figures and in which districts, specifically.

We would all love to hone our craft and become millionaires in our lifetime.

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2017

I work in Nevada and I make a decent salary. It could be better, but it's not terrible and it can definitely support my family.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  20. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Mar 16, 2017

I feel that if your sole motivation is money, you don't belong in the profession. I get we have bills to pay (trust me especially as my 50,000 student loans keep increasing), but I knew I wasn't going to become rich. Where I live, in Upstate NY, teachers live quite comfortably as the cost of living is lower.
    Your pay can also be dependent on a lot of factors including: your experience and education level, and if you're willing to take on more responsibilities.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-worst-states-for-teachers/7159/

I'd much rather make LESS money, but be in an awesome school with great people who were all on a team and had the enthusiasm for their jobs. I had that, but didn't appreciate it at the time. I didn't make a lot in AZ, but my first school's teachers were AMAZING. I'm now in NY where I see a lot of the teachers are just tired and miserable. And I don't want to stereotype it as an East Coast/ West Coast thing, but yikes!

21. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2017

Cite your sources on this.

newbieeducator likes this.