Should I email principals too?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by frankies_mom, Jun 13, 2010.

1. frankies_mom

frankies_mom Rookie

Jun 13, 2010

I have a question for everyone. I live in Connecticut and we apply online through the school district's website. Well, I have applied to 24 schools and have not heard a peep. I know it is really, really hard out there but this is extremely frustrating. Just an interview would be nice at this point. For practice if nothing else!

My questions is, do you think I should follow-up with the principals with a quick email after I send my application through the district site. I am a career changer and graduated in Dec 2009 and I am not sure how all this works. I don't want to be a pest but I do want a job. Should I also just take a shot and start emailing Ps where there are no job openings currently. I just don't know if they view this as a bother??

Any advice is appreciated!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2010

YES, YOU SHOULD!!!

4. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jun 13, 2010

I did when I was looking for a job. I also drop off my resume, contact info, and a sample lesson plan in person at each application. I always introduced myself in person if possible on those drop offs.

5. MrsKP

MrsKP Companion

Jun 13, 2010

YES YES YES!!!

unless you're in my area... then you should not do anything until further notice... and tell all of your friends the same... and tell them to tell their friends.. Just kidding :)

Definitely do it.

6. frankies_mom

frankies_mom Rookie

Jun 13, 2010

Thank you! I will definitely do that then. In this day and age you don't know if you should make contact or go in person anymore. Even McDonald's only accepts online apps now! haha

I will definitely do both the email and in person.
    dizzykates, the contact info and a lesson plan is a great idea! Thank you. For the email, should I attach my resume and a lesson plan? Thanks again!

7. scrapnmom24

scrapnmom24 Rookie

Jun 13, 2010

I agree!! I dropped off resume packets and the next day followed up with an email. I got an interview and then hired based on my email to the principal. She had not even look at my resume until I arrived. I know this because it was in a sealed manilla envelope and she opened it in front of me. She stated that they get so many resumes that they just file them without opening them. She also stated that she asked me in for an interview because I took the time to follow up with an email! So by all means...EMAIL THEM!!!!

8. frankies_mom

frankies_mom Rookie

Jun 13, 2010

that's fantastic scrapnmom24! OK, I have a renewed sense of energy this week! I have been feeling really down but now that I know there are more things I can do I feel really good. I have a lot of work to do and will keep my fingers crossed! Thanks everybody!

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2010

Yes, you should!!! And don't worry about being a bother...there are two principals in my district who I have emailed about every.single.position they have had available for the past 2 years. It finally paid off because I received an interview and an offer from one of those principals.

10. frankies_mom

frankies_mom Rookie

Jun 14, 2010

thanks everyone! i really appreciate the tips! one last question. would you attach a sample lesson as well to your email to a principal? thanks again!

11. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Jun 14, 2010

Personally, I wouldn't attach a sample lesson..maybe a resume and then your email is like a short cover letter.

I got my first job by emailing a principal. She called me 30 minutes after my email and hired me a couple days later! Good luck, it can happen.

12. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Jun 14, 2010

I'm in CT, too, and all the online applications say NOT to send in hard copies because they will not be retained.... I would e-mail principals but I wouldn't send in anything hard copy since they all specifically say not to.

13. frankies_mom

frankies_mom Rookie

Jun 16, 2010

yeah i saw that too studentteach so i wasn't sure. but i am sending out emails to principals - following up with applications i sent out for openings. now i am just sending out emails to all principals within an hour drive of me. hoping for something. would like an interview, for practice if nothing else!

14. I teach science

I teach science Rookie

Jun 16, 2010

Any suggestions for the subject line of the email to grab their attention and get them to open & review your info rather than hit the delete key?

15. MrsKP

MrsKP Companion

Jun 16, 2010

I always do 2010-2011 School Year...

I feel like it could be something important with that subject :p

16. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

Jun 16, 2010

I teach: I have always just used, "Interest in **** School." I have always received some type of response back from principals with this as my subject, so I know they are at least reading my emails. Hope this works for you too. Sometimes dropping off applications in person can also be beneficial.

17. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Jun 16, 2010

Thanks for sharing the tips! I usually use letter of introduction but it hasn't seemed to get me anywhere this summer. I've gotten two responses from it.

18. Lillylilly

Lillylilly Rookie

Jun 16, 2010

Thanks For sharing! Can anyone provide a sample email as I hate to come off as desperate!
    Thanks!

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2010

Forget desperate. Try coming off as confident. As in "I'm confident that I'm the best person for this job." Not those words, but that attitude.

20. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

Jun 16, 2010

I just cut and paste a shortened version of my cover letter in the body of my email and attach my resume and teaching brochure to the email.

21. MrsKP

MrsKP Companion

Jun 16, 2010

This is what I sent a few months ago. It wasn't very school-specific, but I sent it to over 200 schools. I only personalized emails for the schools that were posting open positions or that I REALLY liked.

Dear Principal ____,

I know that you must be getting hundreds of these e-mails, but I wanted to take the time to express my interest in working for you at ______. I know that times are tough and jobs are hard to come by, but I do not simply want a job. I want to teach.
    My name is MrsKP and I will be graduating from Piedmont College on May 8th. My degree is in Early Childhood Education, but I am certified to teach middle grades math and science as well. When I began school, I was sure I wanted to teach elementary, but with time and experience I found that I enjoyed the upper elementary and middle grades very much. I love math and I am passionate about teaching and learning. I am excited to put the strategies and techniques I have learned from experience and from Piedmont to good use.
    I know that you are busy, but I would love the opportunity to meet with you for a few minutes, even if you are not sure that you will have a position available for next year. I will be at the high needs career fair this weekend and would love to meet with you at that time or at any other time. I have attached my resume as well as my references. I am currently student teaching at _________, but I would love to volunteer or observe at ______ during May in order to gain more experience with the middle grades. Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,

MrsKP