Should I ask how much I will get paid?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Joy, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Joy

Joy Cohort

Sep 22, 2011

I got an email from a teacher that I know really well about a week ago telling me that an assistant principal from another district was looking for a Long-term sub qualified to teach PK-4 Music. I sub for this teacher all the time and so she recommended me to this principal and asked me if I was interested. Of course I said that I was. Music jobs are impossible to get and I didn't want to miss the opportunity. The district is farther than I would like to go and is about 45 minutes away but I thought the experience would make this worth it.

The principal called me the same day and asked if I was interested. I told him that I was interested. To make the long story short, I talked with him over the phone, and I have visited the teacher and observed her for one day. No one has ever mentioned what I will be paid. I feel embarassed to ask and don't even know who to talk with about it. I observe the teacher one more day next week. Should I ask her, email the assistant principal, ask the secretary at the school, or just wait and see? I need advice!!! In the other districts that I sub in, I was given numerous papers that explained the pay for long term subs. I've tried finding it on their website, but it isn't there. What should I do?:help:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2011

Will it make a difference in whether or not you take the job? If not, then I would wait and see.

4. Joy

Joy Cohort

Sep 22, 2011

I will take the job anyway but I feel like I'm being crazy for not asking. I also feel like they should have let know what I would be paid right away. It just never gets mentioned.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2011

When they offer you the job they will tell you what the pay is.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 22, 2011

Around here, LTS positions pay the daily sub rate for the first x-number of days, and after that they revert you to the pro-rated year one, step 1 teacher salary. If the pay doesn't make a difference in whether or not you take the position, don't ask... they'll tell you.

7. Joy

Joy Cohort

Sep 22, 2011

I have been offered the Long-Term. They have just never mentioned pay. I had to ask for the paperwork for payroll.

8. Joy

Joy Cohort

Sep 22, 2011

I think I'll just wait to see what happens. I will observe the teacher again next week. I might casually ask the secretary when I am either signing in or signing out for the day. Does that seem tacky?

9. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Sep 22, 2011

I don't think the secretary would know. You could call payroll and ask them. I called once to have them explain the steps in Sub pay.

Like carnet73 said, in my state, you have your daily rate and then the LTS rate which is the:
    daily rate for days 1-14
    another step for days 15-30
    a third step for days 30+

If you miss a day, you go back to step 1

10. Joy

Joy Cohort

Sep 22, 2011

Maybe I'll just call or email the business office and ask. That seems less embarassing!

11. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Sep 23, 2011

Sometimes the school district/county website will have the information about pay scales, but you have to do a search for it. You could try that too...or at least mention in your email that you tried looking for information on the website, but couldn't find anything.