Short Story Suggestions For Lesson On Transitional Words

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Gwen, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Jan 15, 2009

I'm being oberved next week by the Superintendent.:eek: Not such a big deal because we are a one school school district. But none the less I want to impress. So I was going to do a writing lesson on using transitional words. I was going to read the students a short story changing the transitional words in the story to first, second, third, forth, etc. I was then going to explain how transitional words help our writing. Then I was going to read the short story with the transitional words to demonstrate the difference. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good short story to use? I'm stuck. What do you think about the 3 little pigs?

3. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jan 16, 2009

I just finished a Fairy Tale writing unit and I love the way our writing curriculum had us introduce different transition words like:
    *Meanwhile,
    *And then,
    *Suddenly,
    *Soon after that,
    *Before long,
    *The next day,

You get the point....
    I like introducing these because it gets the kids using more sophisticated transition words instead of the usual, "first, next, then, after that..."

Hope this helps.

4. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jan 18, 2009

Go to WritingFix.com and search for a lesson on transitions. You will love this site!