SHOOT! What would you do?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Nov 12, 2012.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 12, 2012

I am working on report cards, and I seem to have misplaced unit 1 math tests for 3 students. I shared the tests with parents at conferences last month, and I'm thinking I may have accidentally sent them home with these 3 parents. I did not record the grades, and this is the only math grade students will have on this report card. I cannot remember if each student received a 3 or a 4. :(

What would you do?

3. HeartDrama

HeartDrama Connoisseur

Nov 12, 2012

Ouch. You know they either got a 3 or 4? How substantial is the grade difference if they have either of those or you drop the grade completely?

I had to not count an essay for one student whose paper I couldn't find. My master teacher was of the belief that he didn't turn it in, but I wasn't so sure. I'd ask the kids if they remember their scores, if not, I'd just drop it.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Aficionado

Nov 12, 2012

Maybe you could not count it for them. That's the only thing I can think of. Do you remember if their grades were especially good or especially bad?

5. kiwi193

kiwi193 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012

When I complete report cards, I rely more on my own observations of the students during math time each day. Then, if I'm unsure of what to put, I usually refer to the test as a second source of information. How do these students do during math? You must have some idea...

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 12, 2012

Ask the kids if they remember their grade.

If they don't I'd just give them a 4.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 12, 2012

The only problem is, I showed the grade to the parents at conferences, and said, "They got a ___ on the test. This will be their only grade for math on this report card." So, if I put a 3, and they got a 4, the parents would probably remember.

I honestly can't remember, because most children got a 3 or a 4. A few received a 2, which I know off the top of my head. Most of the 3's and 4's I can't remember. These 3 students tend to do pretty well, but I can't remember just how well they did. I am going to try to see if the kids remember, and if they don't, maybe I'll just do a 3, I guess. If the parents say something, I can just say that I made a mistake, apologize, and change it.

I don't know what else to do! In 5 years I have never lost a grade or test, so I'm sure I sent them home on accident. I am very organized, and keep everything together. How frustrating, though!

8. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Nov 12, 2012

I would email the parents to ask if they have the test.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2012

I would quickly reassess the students to see if they have the content mastered.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2012

I would call the parents and ask if they have the test. If that didn't work, I'd reassess (if I had time) or I'd excuse the assignment (if I didn't have time).

Out of curiosity, is it standard practice at your school to have only one assessment per subject per marking period? It doesn't seem like you'd get an accurate representation of the student's mastery with only one assessment.

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 12, 2012

I love that idea, thanks!

We follow the Math Expressions curriculum as a baseline, and it contains a pacing guide. We completed unit 1, and are testing for unit 2 this week (the quarter ended last Friday). Unit 1 covered and assessed only story problems, so the first quarter will have only 1 grade. I believe we have about 15 CCSS that are being assessed for math this year. Unit 1 is just really long. We also re-assess students who did not get a 4 each quarter.

I should also add that math is the only subject that has one grade this quarter. We're assessing 4 reading benchmarks, and 5 writing benchmarks, for example.

12. traveler

traveler Comrade

Nov 18, 2012

Honestly, I would give them a 3 or a 4 depending on my observations and if the parent says something I would say 'Oh, I must have made a mistake, I can change that". Mistakes happen. I don't think it is too big of a deal.
    I keep track of my grades and I have multiple assessments but occasionally things like this happen.

13. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Nov 18, 2012

I would be honest and ask the parents. If they don't have the test or recall the score, I would give a four. I understand that if they mastered the skills they should be able to get a four on a retest, buy I still don't think requiring them to test again is fair.

14. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Nov 18, 2012

I had a whole class set of tests sent home without me putting grades in and only some students got the test returned signed to me. I remembered some of the grades and put those in, put in the ones that I got back, and then guessed- based on how well they had been doing over all in class- for those who had I had no clue.

But yes I think it would be a good idea to call parents and see if they can help you before deciding to think about what grade to give the chld. :)

15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Aficionado

Nov 18, 2012

I know that making mistakes is human, and so is admitting it, which takes courage. But I would rather not let the students now that I lost some of their tests, or that I made a mistake on grading. I think some of them would want to use that against me in the future, such as not turning in an assignment, and then saying: "you must have lost it, remember like the other time?". I forget what grade the OP is teaching, maybe in elementary it wouldn't be a concern, but probably would be in middle or high.

16. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 18, 2012

Well, the kids couldn't remember, the parents didn't have the tests, so I just gave them 4's. I figured it really wasn't a big deal if they got a 3 or a 4. I know that all 3 girls had grasped the concepts. ;)