Shoes?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by nboris827, Aug 21, 2009.

1. nboris827

nboris827 Rookie

Aug 21, 2009

After a long day on my feet with 2nd graders, my feet are usually killing me! I've decided that Payless shoes, while inexpensive, are no longer good for my feet.

What shoes do you wear? I've heard the Born brand is good, but pricey.

Thanks!

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2009

I have tons of shoes ranging from $3 flip-flops to expensive heels. So, I am all over the board brand-wise.
    If I wear khakis to school in the winter, I often wear shoes from Skechers or Dr. Martins. I also wore those when I worked retail and was on my feet 9+ hours a day.

4. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2009

Some things are worth the extra money and for a teacher, shoes are one of them. More expensive shoes make your feet happy and I've found that they usually last longer too. Start with one pair and gradually add more choices.

5. jeljohns

jeljohns Rookie

Aug 21, 2009

Merrill shoes are pretty comfortable. Pricey, but worth it. Clarks are also good after you break them in.

6. carlea

carlea Comrade

Aug 21, 2009

I love Born shoes - I haven't had to break any of my pairs in, they're comfortable from the start. I also like Clarks and just got a pair of Kork Ease sandals that are comfy. For flats or casual shoes, I get Skechers.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 21, 2009

I agree. I own 2 pairs of Clarks and they are pretty much the only shoes I wear all year. For the first month or so, they gave me horrible blisters, but since breaking them in I love them!

I also agree that Born shoes are worth the money.

8. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Aug 21, 2009

9. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Aug 21, 2009

I have two pairs of Dansco shoes. A brown pair and a black pair. After a full day of wearing them, I don't even feel like I've been standing all day. They are expensive, but SO worth it. If you have Nordstrom Rack near you...you may be able to find them half price...that is what I did.

10. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 21, 2009

No matter what shoes I get, I always get some moleskin to wear on my heels the first few weeks anyway since I'm always moving after a few months of being sedentary. :)

11. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Aug 21, 2009

I second the Dansko brand. My mom is a nurse and I asked her what they wear since nurses always seem to be wearing comfy shoes. She recommended Dansko. I have to travel about 45 minutes to a store that carries them, but I am actually making the trek tomorrow as I wrap up my last minute details before school starts.

Money is no object for me when it comes to comfy shoes and underwear!

12. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Aug 21, 2009

:D :D :D

13. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2009

Windy,
    I'm surprised you have to drive 45 minutes in our area to find a store that carries Danskos. I have two within just a few miles... Northbrook Court and Old Orchard.

14. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Aug 21, 2009

With stupid Saturday traffic that seems to come from nowhere (why can't we ever escape it????), it'll take me about 45 minutes from my house to get to Old Orchard. I need to travel to that area for other errands. There's actually a store that's technically closer, but it's not near the other places I need to go, so I'd be going way out of the way to get there and back. I swear, sometimes I have to plan my entire afternoon ahead of time just to go to Wal-Mart because of traffic!

Hopefully the weather will be nice because I love walking around at Old Orchard. :)

15. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Aug 21, 2009

Keen . . . I swear by Keen shoes and sandals! I love them!!!!!!!

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 22, 2009

I have fallen in love with Sketchers and a brand called Eurosoft!

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 22, 2009

Ah, another shoes thread...that's OK, I like shoes! :) Also, here's another long shoe thread that was started long ago:

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=61299&highlight=shoes

I posted my list of comfortable brands in that thread too! :) I'm especially all about comfortable shoe brands these days since my ankle injury last year. But whether people have foot problems or not, I think shoes are the type of product one should spend a nice amount of money on because these are what you wear on your feet all day, so you want them to be of excellent quality...but hey, if people want to buy cheap shoes & don't seem to have problems, so be it. But, I think years of wearing cheap shoes can cause foot problems. Here's a couple articles about it:

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Poorly-Fitting-Shoes-Can-Lead-To-Foot-Problems&id=915688

http://green.yahoo.com/blog/greenpicks/247/five-things-you-can-t-afford-to-buy-cheaply.html

18. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Aug 22, 2009

Gotta chuckle. This topic of comfortable shoes arises over and over. Teachers are hustling around all day long, so our shoes can make or break us, can't they? I love Clark's, myself.

19. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 22, 2009

In Chicago they sell them at Hannigs at the corner of Diversey and Clark just in case that is closer:)

20. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Aug 22, 2009

MaryHF said it perfectly, "Some things are worth the extra money and for a teacher, shoes are one of them."

Clarks are all I wear, other than Nikes on those active days.

21. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2009

I just got some Stella McCartney Addidas cute purple satin flats from Zappos. They seem very, very comfortable so far. Czacza found them for me (Thanks Czacza!).

I have to be careful with shoes because of my back problems, so whatever shoes cost, I just have to pay. My credit card that won't get paid off until October is less happy, but I really needed shoes appropriate for work since I don't have any. Finding shoes that are 1) comfortable/appropriate for my issues 2) vegan and 3) not ugly is nearly impossible, so all hail the A to Z Shoe Queen Czacza.

http://www.zappos.com/product/7502931/color/183886