Shoes??

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by olivecoffee, May 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jun 30, 2014

I just went in to buy a pair of sneakers today and was chatting with the owner and it turns out his wife is a teacher, too. He called her up front and we were chatting about my job search and relief at having been hired at long last.

She told me about Keens and said that they have sold a ton of these shoes to teachers. I wear a pair of Keen sandals that are so comfortable. I had to try on a pair of the shoes. Good Lord! They are ugly as can be, but they sure are comfortable. So I bought a pair.
    Sheilah

2. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 30, 2014

A company called J - 41 makes the most comfortable, stylish and cruelty free shoes I have ever seen. i own about 5 pairs and as a person who has had back and feet issues in the past, these are a dream. The company has been bought out by another company called "Jambu", so should you decide to search for them on amazon, put either the old name ( J - 41) or the new name (Jambu).

3. MrsJay

MrsJay Rookie

Jul 1, 2014

Thanks for all the show suggestions! One of my biggest issues has been how bad my feet hurt by the end of the day. I almost feel like chucking what I have and starting fresh.

4. Doe

Doe New Member

Jul 1, 2014

Complete newb here (well sort of), but I had to chime in on this one! I have a pair of SAS shoes that I have had for 5 years. Seriously. They are still amazing. I have taught 2nd grade (1 year), 3rd grade (1 year), 9th grade (3 years).... the list goes on (one year I taught 9th grade, a 6th grade, and an 11th grade class). At any rate... these shoes have been through it all, and they are still on my feet today (summer school anyone?).
    HUGE FAN!

Also Beartraps were super comfy. I wore those and went through about a pair a year before I found these SAS shoes. Most were really ugly back then, but I found a slip on pair (mules maybe?) that weren't too bad, and I went with it.

5. mrsroos

mrsroos Rookie

Jul 31, 2014

ECCOs are fantastic a bit expensive though. I've found TOMS wedges to be extremely comfortable and of course being a california girl I have to wear my rainbows (aka most comfortable flip flops on the face of the earth) on fridays :)
    Just make sure whatever you get you wear around the house before you start teaching :) Also I like to buy at nordstroms since they have a very liberal return policy

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 31, 2014

I wear ECCO because they work for me. Don't even ask how many pairs of shoes I have that I can't wear for any length of time! There comes a time when comfort trumps price. Once you know what works, try Ebay. At the schools around here, no sneakers, no sandals, no flip-flops, and no open back shoes. I can't wear mules anyway, but the banning of sneakers and sandals really caught me off guard. Bad feet, hard to find anything comfortable. Fashion comes behind comfort for me.

7. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Jul 31, 2014

My principal is pretty great, at the first staff meeting she told us to get us a pair of plain supportive tennis shoes or comfortable shoes. She said she liked to walk around and be out and about in the classes and she would not always be doing it in her heels so she didn't expect us to.

I haven't found a ton of shoes that are comfortable. I wear flats alot, and I have a pair of loafer Crocs that are awesome. They do have some professional, cute options.

http://www.crocs.com/crocs-womens-w...t,pd.html?cid=26L&cgid=women-footwear-loafers

I love mine^^

8. bookishsort

bookishsort New Member

Jul 31, 2014

I have some Born loafers that are like clouds. When it cools, I have a pair of Merrell ankle boots that are more comfortable than sneakers.

9. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 2, 2014

I am championing Birkenstock sandals and always will! :)

They're my summer shoes through and through. We walked miles yesterday in Lion Country Safari and my feet were still so happy!

Because I live in southern Florida I usually wear open toed shoes year round at work. This year for school I bought three different colors of Clarks sandals. They have back straps and are more "dressy" than some of their other options out there.

I have a wide foot and am not in the greatest shape and Clarks have always been great on my feet. I wish I could wear Danskos. They feel so heavy on my feet! Maybe I got the wrong size.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 2, 2014

I wish sandals were permitted here. I really hate coming out of them, and they are what I change into as soon as I get home every day.

11. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Aug 3, 2014

I ended up buying three shoes from different makers!
    I bought Naturalizers in flats and spent three days breaking them in. They're pretty comfy now - more comfortable than cheap flats, but not as cushiony as I thought. I do like them.

I bought a cute pair of kitten heels from Clarks and they are my favorite! I feel like I'm wearing flats when I wear them! I wish I could get another pair in a different color!!

And then I bought some pumps from Aerosoles. They're comfortable, but not as comfortable as my Clarks.

I really wanted a pair of ECCOs, but I found my three on sale. I'm on the lookout for tan kitten heels, though, so who knows! :)

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2014

I wear tennis shoes. Well, "running" or "cross-training" shoes. I call them tennis shoes though. Sometimes I call them my chus. Or my Jimmy Choos. I don't know why I do that.

Anyway this year I have Brooks. I've never worn them before but they felt good when I tried them on. Usually I wear New Balance, but I couldn't find a style I like, so I branched out and went for the Brooks.

13. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Aug 3, 2014

I wear shoes with closed toes, good arch support, and neutral colors. Not quite nurse shoes or tennis shoes but something in between. I have runners in my class and we do P.E. everyday. I used to wear sandals and Birkenstocks but not anymore. Too much of a chance of getting my toes broken.:eek:hmy:

14. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Aug 3, 2014

I have to have closed toe shoes. I used to be all about peep toe shoes 10 or so years ago, but I have a weird thing about my toes showing in class. I'm weird.

I think, depending on what classroom I'll be lucky to have after graduating, I'd like to keep a pair of tennis shoes under my desk. I'd like to do active things with them outside that I probably couldn't do in heels!

I have Mizunos that are so comfy. I've never tried Brooks, but I heard they're good!! I hope you like your new 'choos, Caesar! I'd love to wear comfy shoes to work, but I wouldn't dare as a student teacher. :(

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2014

I'm really glad that I'm allowed to wear tennis shoes at school. I think that shoes would have to be my hill if it ever came down to that.

16. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Aug 5, 2014

As a male teacher, I'm just going to offer general advice.

For most days, I wear sneakers or brown/black Skechers. They are NOT very dressy, but on a day-to-day basis, you need to be on your feet and comfortable. If you know you have an interview or an observation, then wear something more formal, but I'd still recommend a nice insertable insole.

17. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Aug 5, 2014

I'm thinking about buying insertable insoles, even though the Clarks, Sofft, Aerosoles, and Naturalizers generally have good cushioning.

I think my biggest issue is that I can't (or definitely shouldn't) dress down while I'm student teaching! I see a lot of teachers here wearing flip flops, sandals, tennis shoes, and overall comfy shoes. I like my (low) heels, but I'll have to see if I can survive wearing them for hours all day.

18. chitown

chitown Companion

Aug 7, 2014

I don't know if I'm allowed to post websites, but 6pm.com has shoes including the name brands mentioned, sometimes at huge discounts. You can get free shipping also, and though it says 5-10 days, I don't think it's ever taken more than 3 days to receive my items. You can sort by size, brand, color...they don't have everything in every size, so it can be less frustrating to sort first! I just thought I'd share.

19. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Aug 7, 2014

I just bought a pair of Sofft kitten heels from 6pm.com!!!! I get them tomorrow. I'm really excited because the shipping was pretty fast considering it was standard and only took 3 days.

20. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 10, 2014

I wear clarks or naturalizer shoes. Honestly, it depends on the floor you will be walking on all day. When I moved from a carpeted classroom I could no longer stand my flats on the tile floor. If you will be on tile floors you need to get something skid resistant with a lot of padding. So I had to switch mid year from cute patent flats to clarks clogs because I was moved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.