shoe tying ...

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by woobie5, Dec 2, 2009.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Dec 2, 2009

I'm SOOOO tired of tying shoes! I have one girl imparticular whose shoes need tied like 30 times a day ... and I'm not kidding. It would be different if she was the only girl in my class .... but I have 25 other kids and about 10 of those need help tying their shoes throughout the day too. WDYD?

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 2, 2009

Well, I had a button that said "I don't tie shoes!" :D

But, when I taught kinder, I, of course, tied their shoes. I encouraged them to learn on their own at home. I tied their shoes in a way that made it very difficult for them to come undone. When we were on the learning mat learning, I did not tie their shoes, I told them, we are not moving and grooving so there is no need to tie your shoes just yet. If they played with their shoe laces, I would take their shoes off and put it aside. That seems to nip playing with shoe laces in the bud quickly, thus, leaving less shoes to tie.

4. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Dec 2, 2009

I have an "I can tie my shoes club". Everyone wants to be a member. So they all go home and practice. At the beginning of the year no one knew how to tie their shoes. I now have five that know how to tie and about another five who are very close out of 16 kids. Last year by the end of the year they all knew how to tie but one.

This is how it works. Every Friday we have a short lesson on how to tie your shoes. Each child will get a chance to tie my shoes, if they can, they get to sign the poster. They also get to tie my white canvas shoes I wear every Friday. They all want to sign my shoes.
    Then I use the poster, if someone needs their shoes tied I will tell them to find a member of the club to help. We also have a goal if we can all tie our shoes by the end of the year we will have a party.

I still have to tie some shoes, but it does help.

5. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Dec 2, 2009

love, Love, LOVE this! I'M STEALING IT! THANKS!

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 2, 2009

zoeymom, what a great idea. I am stealing it too. Even though I don't have a job, it will go in my very clever idea box.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2009

I teach 2nd- Kids should KNOW how to tie their shoes by the time they get to me...When someone needs their shoe tied, I ask them to find another second grader to help them.

Careful with taking shoes...Never know when there will be a fire drill!:eek::lol:

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2009

I say, "Find a shoe tier" and they find another child who can do it.

9. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Dec 3, 2009

I also do a Shoe tie club similar to what was described up above. It does really help!!

10. newkteacherfl

newkteacherfl Companion

Dec 3, 2009

I LOVE THIS! I am stealing it! :woot:

11. cocacola

cocacola Rookie

Dec 3, 2009

I do the find a person who can tie. It makes the ones who can tie feel important because they can help out. I also suggest tucking the laces in until they get somewhere where they can be tied. I am generous :) I will tie shoes until Christmas. I remind them frequently that after Christmas I don't tie shoes anymore. It seems to work pretty well. Amazingly over Christmas, many become shoe tiers. I do step in occasionally to untie a knot.

12. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Dec 3, 2009

I do have a shoe club too, I'll start it in January... BUT, for the time being, I teach them there are certain times I WILL tie shoes (before recess, P.E., lunch, etc.), but that's it. When they come to me I just say 'This isn't a good time to tie shoes.' :D

13. fun2tchk

fun2tchk Rookie

Dec 4, 2009

14. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Dec 4, 2009

15. PocketfuloCntrs

PocketfuloCntrs Rookie

Dec 6, 2009

I have a large poster in the classroom that says "I Can Tie My Shoes". The children that can tie their shoes get to sign the poster. Then when a child needs their own shoes tied and they don't know how, they can ask one of the children whose name is on the list. It really does make a difference! All of the children want to be on the list so it really encourages them to practice. It is also cute to hear the ones that can tie teaching the others while they do it!!

Pam
    www.pocketfulofcenters.com

16. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Dec 6, 2009

I have a big sticker chart that I keep in my room for accomplishements (suca as "I know my address, I can print numbers to 100...) and one of the stickers is "I can tie my shoes" They want that sticker sooooo bad, they try really hard to earn it.

Also, I make 10 tally marks on the board each day. Each time I tie a shoe, I erase one. At the end of the day, I add a marble into the class jar for each mark left on the board. This encourages them to ask friends instead of me, which I love!

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 6, 2009

I have a poster that says "I can tie my shoes." When a child learns how to tie, they get to put their picture on the poster. If someone needs their shoes tied, they look on the poster for someone who can help them. I rarely tie shoes (maybe 4 times a day!).

18. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Dec 6, 2009

I teach first and I still have many that do not know how to tie their shoes! Why don't their parents teach them?!?!?! I will not tie for them, they have to ask a friend.

19. newkteacherfl

newkteacherfl Companion

Dec 7, 2009

I started a shoe tying club last week. Before the club, I had one who could tie, and he wasn't very good at it yet. On Friday, I had 3 people who could tie well, and 4 who had practiced at home and were SO close. The others had the basic idea, but just weren't there yet. I have had 3 of the 4 who were close come to me and tell me that they practiced at home and were going to join the club on Friday! YAY for shoe tying clubs!

20. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Dec 8, 2009

These ideas are fantastic!! I will definitely start one after the new year.

I have an assistant who does most of the tying. However if it's a problem I usually communicate with the parent that their child needs to wear shoes they can manage on their own. I mention it at parent night/orientation, and send home notes at the beginning of the year about children needing to have clothes and shoes they are independent with.

21. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Dec 8, 2009

I am glad it is working for you. It's something about the word club, they want to be a member. I also have 9 other clubs they are working towards too. I can count to 100, I can read all my color words, I know my phone number, I can recognize all my letters, to just name a few.