She gets it from me...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by txbelle, Jul 2, 2018.

1. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

Jul 2, 2018

Procrastination. I'm so bad about it but now that I'm older I have figured out how to schedule things, etc. Okay, okay...it's what I like to call "scheduled procrastination", but I always make deadlines. My procrastination is usually because I'm so busy. At one time I was taking 5 face to face college classes, working 25 hours a week, and still attending most of my kid's activities...I'm so glad I'm fixing to graduate in December!
    Anyways, my 18 yr old daughter is just as bad. She has been just as busy as me with school, cross country, softball, and working part time job. Seriously, her senior year went by in the blink of an eye! We scrambled to get all her info need to be submitted with her college application right after graduation, and we finally got the last thing submitted. Well now they want an essay, which is no problem, and they also want 3 teacher references (we found out her SAT scores were just a little lower than needed). This is where I see the problem. I know she had great relationships with all her teachers and she worked really hard in all her classes, I'm worried that we won't be able to get a hold of anyone since it's summertime.
    I don't want to bother anyone on their break, but it's something that the college requested. How can she politely ask for kinda rushed references? We certainly don't want to rush anyone since it is her (and a little mine) fault, but it's time sensitive.

Thanks ya'll for any input :)

3. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 2, 2018

I thought I was the world's worst procrastinator! I think you hit it on the head by conceding that you "have figured out how to schedule things". Most high schoolers that plan to go to college know that the application process for many colleges starts months before the end of their senior year and often start jumping through the hoops as juniors. IMO, anyone who submits college applications right after graduation probably wasn't all that serious about getting accepted in the first place.

If you think your daughter may be following in your footsteps with regard to procrastination, as a self-described procrastinator (albeit "scheduled"), you're probably not in the best position to offer advice to her on the subject. Instead, may I suggest cutting the apron strings and allowing her to negotiate the college application process on her own? This hands-off approach will enable her to: a) learn some invaluable life lessons, b) develop her own problem-solving skills and c) become more independent from her parents. Even if she has to wait for the next application period to open, the postponement of her college experience will be a small price to pay to learn how to avoid the undesirable consequences of procrastination. If she's determined to attend college, I'm sure she'll figure out how to apply in a timely manner by herself - just like you did!

txbelle likes this.
  4. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

Jul 2, 2018

I will say does all the work and I'm just advising and guiding. I will agree that she has drug her feet on this and she had mentioned taking a semester off, but she is motivated now even though it's cutting it close. She's pretty independent and I don't have to do a lot for her, except nudge her in the right direction occasionally. It's just a few extra hoops to hurdle that she wasn't expecting. I think she took it for granted that UNT was a no brainer because we get 80% off tuition because my husband works there, it has always been the plan to go here, not thinking about the process it is to get admitted.
    Basically, I need advice on how my daughter should word her request for a reference from a teacher who is on their summer break. If she ends up having to wait until next semester, so be it. At least she can say she attempted to jump through those last hoops that are required to enroll in the Fall.

5. Aces

Aces Companion

Jul 2, 2018

Tex I would just explain the situation and ask nicely. My two kids beat the devil for procrastination. I hate it so much.

txbelle likes this.
  6. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

Jul 3, 2018

She has secured one letter and has reached out to about four other teachers. I'll consider it a win if we can get them in the next week or two since this week is a holiday week.
    My kids are pretty self sufficient, which is great...but gosh, I wish they would heed my warnings about important deadlines!

7. Aces

Aces Companion

Jul 3, 2018

Mine are independent little things but I wish they'd learn time management. It drives me up a wall trying to do something last minute.

txbelle likes this.
  8. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2018

Well, she knows she's applying super-late...it might be worthwhile to take the full year and do something else. She'll probably get less consideration for financial aid from the college at this point.

My own son's doing the military reserves and has deferred acceptance. So as a freshman, he'll have almost a full year of training in cyber security (the military training he'll have after boot camp -- and since he's going into computer engineering in college, it will fit right in with his studies), aid for tuition, and hopefully be a little more mature (he also tends to procrastinate).

Aces likes this.
  9. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

Jul 6, 2018

She did apply for FASFA when that opened up, so that's there and ready to go. Plus, we get the tuition discount because my hubby works here...this is one reason that it makes more sense financially for her to go to UNT. Hopefully, if she has to defer, she only has to defer a semester.

10. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

Jul 6, 2018

:yeahthat: Me too! Hopefully mine will outgrow it or learn how to manage the time management issues.

11. Aces

Aces Companion

Jul 6, 2018

My two want to go full military (although we're still a couple years away) and I am NOT mentally prepared for that.

txbelle likes this.